Chapter 24// HaLlOwEeN sPeCiAl

Enjoy :)
———————————————————————————
CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR | HaLlOwEeN sPeCiAl

Brent's POV

October 31st. As others know it to be, All Hallows' Eve. A day celebrated by dressing in costumes and telling tales of witches and ghosts. Children go from house to house—to trick or treat—collecting candy along the way. Parties are thrown to attract those who gore too old to celebrate the day. Unfortunately, Peter and my mom have been keeping a strict eye on Max and I, and that includes staying home to help hand out candy.

"I look stupid Brent! Stupid." Max complained.

My mom and Peter had Max and I partake in their costume, The Incredibles. Max was dressed in red spandex with a pig exclamation mark glued onto the middle of our shirts and black goggles loosely hanging from our necks...completely matching my mom and his dad. On the other hand, I was sitting on my bed, easily entertained by Max's complaining. My mom has wanted to do family customs since she started getting serious with Peter.

"Brent! Hurry up and get dressed. You and Max are expected to be downstairs in five minutes."

I look at Max and he smirks, "Well, what are you waiting for little brother? Get.dressed." he ends the sentence with a dead look, challenging me to disobey.

"What are you, my dad?" bad choice of words, but appreciated.

Max reads my thoughts because, in surprise, his eyes are wide open, his eyebrows are raised and his jaw is open. I have to shoot down his thought before this turns into another Christmas nightmare, "I'm fine Max. I'm over the depression stage and have now glided into the acceptance stage, and my acceptance is joking about it.

In startle, Max's eyes are closed tightly, his brows lower and his lips are stretched tensely. "You are one weird boy Brent, psychotic, but weird."

I stare at him with a smile that has no definition. I grab the costume from his hands and make my way toward our shared bathroom, "Love you too, big brother!"

Bounced

"You guys look so adorable. Come, let me take picture of you two." Mom waved her right hand in the air, encouraging us to come close together, the camera on the left. Peter, who was standing against the pillar in the background was wearing his costume however, it must have come with a smirk because he has been wearing it since Max and I came down those creaky stairs.

"You are right Brenda, they do look adorable," he responds, closing the space between him and my mom. He kisses her on the cheek and as a result, my mom's face matches her costume.

"Really dad? Adorable? What are you, five?" Max retorts back.

Peter laughs at Max's joke, intrigued by how his son handles being indoors on All Hallow's Eve.

"Oh sorry, pardon my mistake. I didn't mean what I said, dad. We all know you're fifty." Max recovers, a grin mirrored on his face.

Peter's actions still, "Excuse me?"

In attempts to plunge the argument happening between Max and Peter, the device in my mom's hand catches all of our attention when it momentarily emits light; a bright, dim light compensates for the lack of brightness in the main hallway, showing our silhouette in the walls of our house.

"Thanks, Brenda, I may have officially gone blind," Max complains, rubbing away the black and white spots from his eyes.

"Yea Mom, what was that for?" Even though I may dislike Max at times, I have no choice but to agree with him in this scenario.