The Past - Eleven

Three Years Later

"I still think she did it on purpose," Pyka sneered.

Three years and he still couldn't let it go. I followed his gaze towards Jenny and Henry who laughed with a group of their friends. They looked really good together. Happy.

I suspected Pyka was right, though I would never tell him that. Jenny knew better than to interrupt Mating Meetings. And after that night, I had gone to go see Mama, but Mama had been asleep. I didn't ask her why she interrupted. I didn't care. Because at the end of the day, it wouldn't change anything.

"I'm happy for them. I trust him to take care of her," I told him for the millionth time. I understood his frustration, but it really didn't bother me. Not anymore at least.

All of my sisters had been betrothed to Alphas. After Mama and the pups died, Mother changed. It was like some flip had switched and all of a sudden, she wasn't as mean. She was still a bit awkward in her affections, but she didn't hit us anymore and she made sure the others were all paired with really good Alphas.

I noticed that she had a hard time looking at me. I think it's because out of all my siblings, I resemble Mama the most.

Or maybe she just hated me.

I stopped caring.

I stopped caring about a lot of things. I did what I was supposed to, but kept to myself most of the time. I didn't talk to my sisters' much, especially Jenny. It didn't have anything to do with Henry, not anymore. It was the way she carried on after Mama died like nothing happened. How she encouraged the others to do the same.

It pissed me off how much Mama went through for them and they didn't have the decency to mourn her. Or our siblings. It was a level of selfishness that I'd never comprehend. I loved them but I didn't have to like them. So, I kept my distance from them and they from me.

I was okay being alone. I mean, it wasn't much different from how it'd always been. I'd do what I could to fly under the radar, enjoying what little freedom I had until the inevitable happened.

I was betrothed to an Alpha.

Three years had passed and I'd finally grown into some of my less desirable features. I was still too tall, still too skinny, but my hips had widened a little, my features weren't as harsh ans angular, and...I could sing. I never thought much of it, when I hummed while doing the dishes or cooking. But after Mama passed, I found the hums turned into words, mimicking what I always heard as a child.

In some ways, it made me feel closer to her. It made the pain of losing her lessen, just a bit. So whenever I needed comfort, I would sing. I sang to myself mostly, until someone at school heard me. Then it spread. Now teachers ask me to sing for class and even for one of the Alpha events. It was then that Alphas started to take notice. Pair that with my impressive bloodline and suddenly, I was desirable.

It didn't matter though, I wasn't interested. And with Mother avoiding me...avoiding them was easy.

At least, it always had been, until I saw him.

After class when my friends and I would hang out near the lake as most of the higher levels did, it was one of the few times that Alphas and Omegas mixed. High school for the two were separated. Something about our hormones affecting each other so we didn't interact much. Many Omegas used this time to prance in front of the Alphas, hoping for a match.

It was difficult to watch, but I did it anyway, because that's where my friends wanted to hang out. While the rest of them shifted or went swimming in the lake, I hung back and watched.

Angie tried to get me to come in a few times, but I turned her down, choosing to observe as she and Galen wrestled and splashed in the water, only for their Alphas-to-be to cheer and holler.

The loneliness ate at me, throbbing in my chest. I didn't envy them, not really, but I did feel hollow. It was moments like these, the weak ones, where I wanted to be alone.

Getting up from my spot beneath the tree, I stretched my limbs and headed a little further from the crowds. Slipping away without a single person noticing.

I wandered for a little while, remembering how I used to run around here with Mama whenever we had time off from school and Mother was at work.

Before I knew it, a soft hum had left my lips. A comforting melody. One that was supposed to make me feel better, but instead brought tears to my eyes and a sob to my throat. When I couldn't release another note, I stood wiping the tears from my eyes.

"That was beautiful."

Whipping around, I nearly growled at the intruder.

Thank goodness I didn't...it was an Alpha.

Tall, soft brown eyes, lightly tanned skin, dark brown hair, and handsome features that resembled his Dad.

Phil.

Pyka's older brother.

I'd seen him around from the times that I hung out with Pyka over the years, but we never really interacted. He was always kind, but sort of quiet.

"Alpha," I greeted, tilting my neck in submission.

Phil smiled gently. "You don't have to do that, Cal. Not to me."

I didn't argue, just nodded silently.

"What are you doing out here?" he asked, stepping closer. I fought the urge to step back, to hide, but running away wasn't an option. Especially now when the Alpha was old enough to experience The Chase, a phenomena where Alphas are forced to hunt any prey that dares to run from them. It was impossible to break them from it and oftentimes, they went feral if they didn't reach their prey.

That's why they always tell Omegas...never run from an Alpha.

"Just wanted some quiet," I mumbled, not wanting to admit that I actually wanted to be alone. Who knew how he might take that.

Instead, he nodded.

"How have you been? I haven't seen you around the house much."

Was he really making small talk right now?

I shrugged. "Been busy."

Phil raised a dark brow.

"You can lie better than that. C'mon."

A burst of rage flooded through me. I spun to face him, anger toxifying my tone, "My Mama is dead and my sisters couldn't give a damn about helping around the house. So excuse me if I can't flounce around like all the other Omegas, I'm too busy trying to keep my den alive."

Phil's eyes widened, but he didn't seem upset. Instead, he lowered his head when I should have been lowering mine. "I'm sorry, that was insensitive of me."

Frowning, I just watched him. It was strange. I couldn't believe an Alpha was really apologizing.

When he raised his head, there was a fire burning in those brown eyes. Nothing close to anger, only passion. The sudden change forced a gasp from my throat.

"You know, you're a lot stronger than you let yourself believe. But it's okay to let your guard down every once in a while. It's okay to lean on someone."

The tears that I had fought to push back came pouring out again as the sobs once swallowed were regurgitated into the silence of the forest.

Then he was there, holding me to his chest, smelling like pine and smoke.

And for the very first time, I felt safe in an Alphas arms.