12

"So...now what?" Lisa asked as she and Irene stood side by side, looking at the semi-vacant parking lot and avoiding each other's gaze. Their words billowed around them as a stiff breeze ruffled their hair.

"Now nothing. This whole mess is finally over and despite my retained feelings for you, it would be inadvisable to resume a relationship," Irene stated reasonably.

Irene was right. Their relationship had never been stable grounds because of Irene's whole past with Tiffany. But, now there was hope for reparation. "Maybe this whole time I didn't want revenge. Just...closure," Irene acknowledged, shocking Lisa with her openness. "I immediately cut Tiffany off after the incident occurred and never knew why she did it or how she felt. I just...stewed in my anger. Which wasn't healthy."

"Will you need therapy? I've been learning a thing or two from a great professor," Lisa said, joking weakly. She was tired of feeling broken. Angry. Sad. She wanted levity back in her life.

"Was she really a great professor if she slept with her student?" Irene muttered discontentedly.

"She was passionate about her subject. A harsh grader. Too harsh if you ask me. But she knew what she was doing in class."

"Luckily you won't have to take that professor's class again. She might not ever teach again."

A lump stood in Lisa's throat. "I thought you had tenure?"

"I do. But...I was only ever here to spite Tiffany. And despite it protecting me from most liabilities, and the two of your parents not wanting this to come out publicly, I think it's best if I leave. For all of us."

Lisa felt her heart sink. Despite how badly their relationship had gone at the end, Lisa wasn't over what they had or could have been.

"Where are you thinking of going?"

Irene shrugged. "Somewhere warm. I hate cold weather. Maybe I'll visit my sisters in their homeland. Maybe I'll visit my mom. Honestly, I don't know."

"Will you...will you keep in touch?" Lisa voiced hesitantly, licking her lips shyly.

"No. I don't think it's a good idea to do so," Irene stated with that final tone of hers that meant what she said was law. "We both have a lot of healing to do and I think it's best we did it on our own."

Lisa nodded her head, forced to understand this unpleasant truth. "Right."

"I do...appreciate our finer moments. Even all the times you made me watch Spongebob."

"It's a good show."

"I bet it is," Irene said softly, talking coming to an end. This was it, their parting. "I better go. I have a lot of packing and planning to do."

"But the final exam-"

"I think I'll make it a take-home exam. I feel like some students could use the extra leeway because they've had a stressful semester," she said, looking at Lisa finally and giving her a warm but pained gaze.

"Thank you," Lisa breathed out.

"It's the least I can do."

***

Lisa trudged back to Nichkhun's office, reluctant and dreading the conversation she was going to have with her parents about the extent of her relationship with Irene. Well, at least Irene had gotten the fact they had had sex out of the way so no need for Lisa to cover that.