Chapter Six

Jackson

"You know I think this is a horse shit idea, right?" Andre lounges back in the seat next to me. He's hanging onto the handle above the window with a scowl so sharp it could cut diamonds, eyes set on the window to Carol's Cakes, Lizzie's bakery.

We're parked across the street but we've got a clear view of the little shop names after her grandmother, and every once in awhile, we get a view of Lizzie, herself. 

"I didn't ask for you opinion." Not that my reminder is going to stop him from giving it to me. Andre is my best friend and Capo, and about the only person I'd let get away with questioning me. He's wicked smart and he keeps me honest; most of the time I like that, but today I don't want to hear any of his bullshit.

It's been three days since our conversation at Swank's and I haven't heard a single word from her. I gotta be honest...I expected her to call that very same night and when she didn't, it stung. I tried not to take it personally, but it was. I was the reason she didn't want to get involved. If there was a way to help Emily without working with me, Lizzie would be all over it.

"Do you parents know about this? I can't imagine Marlena took too kindly to Lizzie being back in the picture."

Shoving my fingers through my hair, I let out a heavy breath and clench my jaw. "Lizzie hasn't agreed to anything yet... figured it was best to wait until after I knew that she was in for sure before I gave my mother a coronary."

My mother and Lizzie were like oil and water from the very start, and if I'm being honest, that was part of the appeal in the beginning. Lizzie was opinionated and tough and she didn't just fall at the feet of Marlena Hale like most women would. In fact, she challenged her and her ethics every opportunity she got, and that was something my mom wasn't used to.

As the matriarch of one of the most powerful families on the East Coast, she was as much feared as she was respected in the community, and that was exactly how she liked it. The picture of perfection and power and she saw anyone who didn't bend to her will as a threat, and that made Lizzie Enemy Number One. She didn't even pretend to be upset when Lizzie left me. The woman was tough as nails, incapable of any emotion.

My dad might have been the face of the organization, but behind closed doors, my mom had the reins. Even as I took over, she wanted it to be that way, but I'm not as easy to control as my father. Most of the time I spot her bullshit a mile away, but it doesn't stop her from trying. She's harmless, but this is my organization now, and I'm running things the way I always wanted. The way Lizzie and I always talked about.

"So she is back in the picture?" Andre smirks, realizing that I didn't correct him.

"No." I stare straight ahead, tracking a few errant rain drops trickling down the glass. Lizzie and I aren't even in the same realm anymore. "This is about Emily. Once it's over, I'll back off."

Andre fights to hold in his laughter. "You? Back down from a challenge?"

"I let her go once, Andre." I hissed. "I can do it again."

I open the door and step out of the truck.

"Where are you going?" Andre calls after me.

"To get my answer."

Bells ring as I open the door to the bakery and the sugary sweet smell nearly knocks me off my feet. It's as intoxicating as it is nostalgic. Baking was one of Lizzie's coping mechanisms, and I could always tell when something was on her mind when she was in the kitchen, pouring over recipe cards and concocting something delicious. I guess not everything about this life she's created is new.