Chapter Fifteen

Jax (8 years ago)

"It's the new girl again." Andre balks, breaking my concentration that was centered on last weeks profits—the best week we've had since opening our doors three years ago, and considering how good business has been, that says a lot.

"Again?"

He nods. "And you better hurry because your dad is trying to handle it."

"Fuck." I groan, shoving the reports to the side. There is no doubt in my mind that our profit jump has everything to do with the salacious new brunette Nancy hired—Junebug, as they all call her—but this is the second time in five days that I've had to deal with an issue that she's at the helm of. I haven't got the time or patience for nuisances like that around here, no matter how fucking gorgeous—and lucrative—they are.

"What happened?" I ask, trailing behind Andre as we weave through the crowd and back toward the dressing room.

"I've got a client that paid for a private for him and his buddy. She walked inside and walked right back out, refusing to go in."

"Does she know them?"

Andre shrugs. "Your guess is as good as mine. She won't say. Just keeps saying she won't do it."

Usually, the dressing room is off limits to men, but I can already hear my dad yelling behind the door. This is exactly the headache I don't need tonight.

I open the door, and no one notices me for a minute. Elisabeth sits in front of her vanity, dark mascara tears trailing down her cheeks as she started at the ground. Seeing her that way catches me a bit off guard. It's a stark contrast to the spicy attitude I've come to know from her in the least week. The fear in her eyes makes me reconsider my approach.

"Mr. Hale, please. You can't be in here. Elisabeth and I will sort this out."

"Like hell I can't be back here. This is my club, and privacy is a privilege."

Elisabeth looks up at him with a venomous stare. Maybe she doesn't know who he is or what he's capable of, or maybe she's stupid, but she stands toe to toe with a man that gives the devil himself a run for his money. I realize that the fearful look in her eye has nothing to do with my dad, and everything to do with the men inside that room.

My dad doesn't like to be challenged  though, so he reaches forward and grabs Elisabeth's forearm, jerking her close to him. "You get your ass in that room and you do whatever the fuck they want you to do. Am I clear?"

"That's enough, dad." All the attention in the room turns to me. All except for Elisabeth who bits her lip, eyes trained to the clutch my dad still has on her wrist. I step in between the two of them, "This isn't your club. It's mine."

"Yours?" My dad scoffs. "Where'd you get the money for it?"

I nudge their still-connected arms, and my dad holds his ground, tightening his grip on Elisabeth in some cock fight show of dominance.

"You want your money back, go ahead. Take it." My face hardens as I walk the fine line between disrespecting my dad and showing the leadership he keeps barking that he wants to see.

Losing his investment would hurt a bit, but it would nowhere near cripple us like he thinks. And honestly, I could really do without his interference.

"And this girl? She's been here ten days and our week night profits have doubled. So as far as I'm concerned, she can do whatever the fuck she wants." I nod toward Elisabeth. "And if you think you're going to walk in here and handle any of my dancers this way, you're mistaken."