Chapter Seventeen

Elisabeth

"Mmm." I moan, resting my forehead against the cool tile of the shower. Hot water beats down onto my back as the room fills with steam.

It's been weeks since I've had a shower as hot as this, and even though it nearly burns my skin, I soak it all up. Who knows when the next one will be?

Turns out getting an apartment is the easy part. I was on top of the world when I found my place, but then I realized you have to pay for things like electricity and food and water. With my first three checks going towards rent, there wasn't much room for anything else.

Thank God for Nancy. If she didn't let me borrow her key to use the club after my shift a few times a week, I'd be completely out of luck. Dancers are never allowed to use the client locker room, but Nancy's kind of taken me under her wing and she offered up the showers at least until I can get the money together to pay my utilities.

I kind of like the club this time of night anyway. No one else is here, and it's quiet. Peaceful, almost. It's the only time of day that it is. Most of the time, these walls are filled with all kinds of lonely, desperate men dropping all kinds of money for a show.

If you've got a halfway decent set of tits, and a nice lingerie set to show them off, the job pretty much works itself.

I moan again. I hate to be dramatic, but this shower is life changing. It's better than any orgasm I've ever had.

The showers in here are what dreams are made of. Six different shower heads, aromatherapy steam, and bigger than my entire apartment.

I'm so lost in bliss that I don't notice the door to the locker room open. I don't notice the footsteps. The dark, shadowy figure on the other side of the foggy glass.

It's not until Jax clears his throat that I realize he's standing there. A steely, pointed scowl spreads across his face, and folded riding over his chest. He isn't happy at all. Despite the scalding water, the icy look in his eye spreads a chill across my body.

He reaches for the towel hanging from the hook and holds it out to me.

"Out. Now."

I crack the shower door open, snatching the towel out of hood hands and shielding my body as best I can.

"Get dressed. I'll be waiting in the front."

His tone hollows out my stomach as I nod.

Shit. Not only am I about to lose my job, I might cost Nancy hers in the process. As quickly as I can, I get dressed, rehearsing the speech that I'm about to give Jax.

I'm sure nothing I say can make it any better at this point, especially considering this is strike three in as many weeks for me. Now, not only will I not have hot water, but I won't even have an apartment because there's no way I can afford to live in the city without this job.

When I get out into the main area, I see Jax sitting at the bar. He's got a couple glasses of scotch in front of him and a gun sitting on the counter.

He glances up when he hears me coming, and I jump to speak first.

"I'm sorry. I didn't realize you were here. Usually, no one else is."

The corner of his lips turn up into a smirk, and I immediately know I fucked up.

"Usually." He repeats. "How often do you use my club for your own pleasure?"