Chapter Seven

Elisabeth

It isn't until I pull into the driveway that I realize how late I am. And on tonight of all nights. It's the night of Mike's fundraiser and I was supposed to be home an hour ago. He's probably losing his mind with stress and I've still got flour in my hair.

It isn't like me to forget about these type of things. Ever since Jax's late night visit, I've been off, and I know Mike and I are both thinking it.

As quick as I can, I throw my car into park and rush in the house. "I'm sorry! I just need five minutes and I'll be ready to go!"

"No rush, babe." Mike calls from the kitchen as he's getting dinner for Harper. Heather sits at the table coloring with her to keep her occupied. "We've got plenty of time."

"Hi mama!" Harper bounds into the foyer, wrapping herself around my legs so tightly that I can't walk.

"Hi baby." I scoop her up into my arms, peppering her with kisses."Did you have a good day today?"

She nods wildly. "Heather took me to the park after school and she said that when you and daddy are gone, we get to bake cookies!"

"Wow! It sounds like you're going to have a fun night!"  I shoot Heather a thankful smile. When Mike or I can't be with Harper, it's such a relief knowing she has someone like Heather to hang out with.

I set Harper down and hurry up the stairs so I can change my clothes and fix my make-up. I wanted to shower but there was no time for that now, so this would have to do. My afternoon got monopolized by Jax, and even after he left, I was in somewhat of a tailspin trying to get myself organized.

Settling on a mid length, tight black dress, I pull it out of my closest and slip it on. There are a few wrinkles but I smooth them out with my hands right as Mike walks in with a glass of wine.

He flashes me a smile as he hands it to me, and kisses my cheek. "Long day?"

"Oh..." I sigh, biting my lip. "It was just busy. I had a few last minute orders I wasn't planning on but we were able to get them done."

"That's great, babe." Mike stands behind me as I tie my hair up into a knot at the base of my neck and pull a few errant strands out. "You look absolutely beautiful."

"Thank you." I smile, the guilt setting in.

"I'll meet you downstairs?"

"I'll just be two more minutes." I assure him, and he disappears out into the hallway.

Why didn't I just tell him about Jax? About me working on Emily's case? He's going to find out eventually.

I"m able to talk myself down with the realization that tonight of all nights isn't the night to tell him. It's a big night, and he's already under a lot of stress, and finding out about Jax won't help that situation.

Tomorrow will be a better day.

I apply a thin layer of lipstick, and go to my jewelry box for a specific pair of earrings. As I'm rummaging around in the drawers, a ring catches my eye and my knees feel weak. The single band of pearls still sparkles like it did the day Jax gave it to me.

It was the first wedding ring he gave me. The one he picked out from a silly little shop on the beach just minutes after we decided to get married. When we got back home, he replaced it with something much bigger and more gaudy, but this one always holds a special place in my heart. As I turn it over in my fingers and think back to that day, my heart still skips a beat like it did when he slipped it on my finger.

Jackson (7 years ago)

"We should get married." I say, popping a piece of pineapple into my mouth. We've got a blanket spread out on the white sands of Manele Bay and are having a picnic as the sun sinks into the ocean in front of us. It's the most beautiful spot in the entire world, and I've got the love of my life by my side, and it's so perfect I consider not getting on that airplane in a few days and hiding out here with her forever.

Lizzie nearly glows in the Hawaiian light with a flower tucked behind her ear and salty sun kisses on her cheeks. She rolls her eyes as a smile pulls across her face at my suggestion as if she thinks I'm kidding.

"I'm serious, babe." I prop myself up on my elbow, angling my body towards her. "We know we want to spend the rest of our lives together and we're in this beautiful place. Why not?"

"Why not?" Her eyes widened. "Yeah, your mother would love that. She hates me and I don't think tying her only son down after only a few months would help my case any."

"My mom hates everyone, Lizzie, and I'm not asking you to marry her. I'm asking you to marry me. Right now. On this beach. Without letting another day go by."

The more I thought about it, the more I knew it was the right thing. I'd never loved anything in the world the way that I love Lizzie, and the thought of losing her is sharper than any blade I'd ever felt. Everything else is just noise to me at this point. Lizzie is it, and it's about time I make sure she knows that.

"Jax, we hardly know each other."

"We have our entire lives for that. Look," I reach for her hand, sweeping my thumb across the back of it. "I know enough about you to know, without a shadow of a doubt, that I want to spend the rest of my life with you, Elizabeth. I want to wake up to you every morning, to raise a family together, to have you by my side when I take over for my dad. I've been wrapped up in you since the moment you walked into my club and I can't stand the thought of spending another second without you as my wife. I promise you, if you take a chance on my, I will give you absolutely everything. I will move heaven and Earth to make you happy. To keep you safe."

Tears well up in Lizzie's eyes and she gently wipes one off of her cheek as she laughs. "This is crazy."

"It might be." I agree. "But that doesn't mean it isn't right. I love you, Lizzie. Please. Please marry me."

"You really want to do it here?" She wipes a tear off of her cheek with the sweetest laugh. "I don't have a dress and our friends aren't here and we don't have rings..."

"I'll take care of the rings. And you go pick out whatever dress you want on the entire island." Electricity pulses through my veins as I press a hungry kiss to her lips. "The only person I care about being here is you."

Lizzie is lost in thought as she stares out into the waves, but when she turns and our eyes meet, I know she feels exactly the same. "Okay, let's get married."

--------