Chapter Nineteen

Jax

Maybe this isn't such a good idea. 

Maybe I don't have the amount of restraint I thought I did. 

Every muscle in my body is rigid, fists balled on the table in front of me. A sweating amber glass sits untouched in front me. It's not because I don't want a drink, because, fuck, do I want that drink. It's still full because I know myself. I know that having a heavy glass object in my hand right now isn't the best idea because I'm liable to charge across the club to the bastard who's looking at Lizzie like she's a fucking piece of meat and bash his skull in. 

And that would be bad for business. 

Lizzie's on the private stage tonight, raking in hundreds of thousands of dollars as she flows across the stage. When she insisted on continuing to work, I put her back here because I thought I could control things a little better--scrutinize the clientele, limit her time on the main stage where anyone could walk in off the streets and fantasize about my girl. Turns out it's just as bad, and maybe even more so. 

I'm a reasonable man, but everyone's got their limits, and as I watch him set his hand on her thigh, my limits become really fucking clear. 

I'm there in two steps, ripping him out from underneath her. His wrist snaps like a fucking pretzel stick between my fists and he shrieks. 

"Oh my god." Lizzie balks, stepping away as she covers her mouth, horror in her eyes. 

"Did you forget about our no touching rule?" I snarl, poising to break the other wrist when Andre comes in and puts a hand on my shoulder. 

"Jesus, Jax!" The man winces, trading his limp arm. "It's a fucking lap dance. Where am I supposed to put my hands?" 

An evil chuckle escapes me. "A cast for at least the next eight to twelve weeks."

He stupidly glances up at Lizzie as if he expects her to intervene or stick up for him. She won't in front of the clients, but I'll sure as hell hear about it later. I grab his collar. "Keep your eyes on me or it'll be a full body cast." 

"Okay," Andre shoves me away, grabbing the man underneath his shoulder. "Let's get you out of here." 

"Everyone out." 

There are a few other men in the room who witnessed the exchange and they all scramble out, not wanting to be next in line. This is going to cost me a pretty penny, but it doesn't matter. It was fucking worth it. 

The door shuts with a heavy slam and Lizzie and I are alone. Her face twists into a harrowing glare. 

"Have you completely lost it? You can't just beat the shit out of our clients on a whim, Jax." 

Our clients. I love it when she talks like that. Like we're a team. Partners. Because we are, in every sense of the word. 

"Guy had it coming, babe. No touching, remember?" My response only pisses her off more. 

"He's right, you know..." She crosses her arms over her chest. "What's the guy supposed to do when I'm half naked, grinding on him like that? You've let way worse go with the other girls."

"I'm not married to the other girls, Elisabeth." 

Married. The word still feels weird coming out of my mouth, but I fucking love it. 

She sucks in a sharp breath, throwing herself down onto the couch. "I'm sorry. I know it can't be fun to watch, but we talked about this. You said I could keep working here."