The Flea and the Acrobat - [PT2] - FINAL PT

Y/n's POV

At Mike's house...

After the funeral, we went to Mike's house. We went to the basement to check on El, and she was there, relaxing in her little fort. We told her about what Mr. Clarke told us.

Mike shot the pen through the paper. "It would take a lot of energy to build a gate like this. But that's got to be what happened. Otherwise, how's Will get there, right?"

"Right." El replied.

"What we want to know is, do you know where the gate is?" Lucas asked her.

She looked at him and shook her head.

"Then how do you know about the Upside Down?" He slightly shouted.

Me, Mike, and Lucas looked at her. Dustin was just pacing back and forth. She just looked at us and looked down at her hands. Then, she looked at Dustin, causing us to look at him as well. He was holding out a compass and looked at it as he walked.

"Dustin, what are you doing? Dustin?" Mike tried to get his attention.

"Dustin!" Lucas shouted.

"Dustin!" I shouted as well, causing him to look up at us, finally.

"I..I need to see your compasses." He stammered.

"What?"

"Your compasses. All of your compasses, right now!" We looked around at each other and got up.

I went to my backpack and took out my compass, putting it on the table with all the other ones. Dustin grabbed them all and pointed them in one direction.

"What's exciting about this?" Mike inquired.

"Well, they're all facing north, right?"

"Yeah, what about it? I stated.

"Well, that's not true north." Dustin corrected us.

"What?" I spat out.

"What do you mean?" Mike asked.

"I mean exactly what I just said. That's not true north. Are you three seriously this dense?"

Lucas and I shrugged.

"The sun rises in the east, and it sets in the west. Right?" Dustin added. "Which means.." He pointed north. "that's true north."

"So what you're saying is the compasses are broken." Mike said.

"Do you even understand how a compass works?" Dustin sighed. "Do you see a battery pack on this?"He rotated the compass.

"No."

"No, you don't. Because it doesn't need one. The needle's naturally drawn to the Earth's magnetic North Pole."

"So, what's wrong with them?" Lucas questioned.

"Well, that's what I couldn't figure out, but then I remembered. You can change the direction of a compass with a magnet. If there's the presence of a more powerful magnetic field, the needle deflects to that power. And then I remembered what Mr. Clarke said. The gate would have so much power-"

"It could disrupt the electromagnetic field." I finished.

"Exactly."

"Meaning, if we follow the compasses' north..." Lucas remarked.

"They should lead us to the gate." Dustin finished.

The next morning..

I got out of bed and took a shower. I changed into a white shirt with a red jacket and some jeans.