Chapter 2

Natalia Reyes was a girl with good sense. She grew up in New York with her semi-rich parents (at least that what she figured since she didn't know how rich they actually were). Her father was an all-American, but her mother came from a rich Colombian family. She knew her manners, but liked keeping to herself. Being alone was simply the way she was comfortable. She never really interested men, so to say. But there was a man once. When she thought back, he was more like a boy. Since age doesn't necessarily mean maturity.

At 19-years-old, nearing her 20th birthday, she usually dated older men. Boys her age, or younger, didn't hold the level of maturity or intelligence that she looked for. Though the boy at the bus stop was definitely attractive, she could tell he was younger than her. It did surprise her that he didn't just start talking to her like most boys would. This was New York after all. She didn't miss the way he stared at her and how he almost missed the bus because of it. She also didn't miss his beautiful deep brown eyes, those full luscious lips, and how deep his dimples became every time he moved his face. She had a brief look right at him, but kept watching him from the corner of her eye.

She knew she was beautiful—or at least that is what she has been told over and over again. Natalia obviously cared about her looks, but wasn't obsessed with being perfect like so many girls were. She needed only a little makeup and decent clothing to go out. Her confidence was minimal, but she didn't go to bed every night hating herself. Being a student at community college she realized that she was too busy to be worrying about having a boyfriend. She learned to live for herself and she was slowing becoming happier and happier as time passed by. She did get lonely at times, but it wasn't unbearable like when she was a foolish teenager in high school.

Natalia lived in the Upper East Side of New York with two roommates. Or at least she did until today when Sam and Veronica are officially moving to Upper Manhattan. She was helping them move today and the apartment they once shared will be all hers. The thought of being all alone in that place kind of scares her. She figured maybe she could get a cat?...Perhaps a dog instead. They are happier to see you when you walk though the door.

"Hey! Look who finally made it!" cried Sam Adley.

He was Veronica's boyfriend. Yes, Natalia lived with a couple. Although Sam and Veronica didn't start dating until after they all lived together, Natalia learned that it was a good idea to stay single for a good while thanks to her friends. Natalia loved her friends dearly and thought they were a great couple, but after seeing the romance between them, Natalia saw that it got really old really quick and was decided to stay single for as long as she can.

"It's about damn time, girl!" Veronica called out.

Veronica Fernandez is a Cuban-American girl from Natalia's old neighborhood. They grew up together and stayed really good friends throughout high school and college. They both showed interest in Sam at first, but Natalia saw that he preferred Veronica. Besides, Natalia only thought he was cute. White boys were not really her usual beau. Not that she had anything against white boys, but Natalia just preferred brown skin. Maybe even deep-brown eyes, smooth skin, big, full lips to die for, and dimples so deep she could fall in them.

Natalia shook the mental image from her head.

"You seem preoccupied," Sam mentioned.

"It's nothing," Natalia responded.

Veronica pulled her to the side, "I know that look. You met a guy didn't you?"

"I don't know what you're talking about. Mid-terms are coming up. I just want to help you guys settle in, then go home and study," Natalia smoothly answered. Veronica wasn't too pleased with her answer, but gave Natalia a look that said "this isn't over" and moved on the the next box to unload.

Natalia took a deep breath and grabbed another box. She had to get that boy out of her mind. Sure, he was freaking cute, yet at the same time super-incredibly hot! But what were the odds of meeting him again? And if she did, it's not like she would consider giving him a chance if he was interested. She was living for herself and that is just the way it was going to be.