Chapter 8

~Natalia~

Royce had dropped her off at her apartment around 10:00 PM. Instead of going for the straight forward kiss on the lips, he had grabbed her hand and kissed it. "Good night," he smiled his cute-dimpled smile and walked down the street. Natalia closed the door when he left and leaned back on it. What was that? Natalia was dumbfounded. This experience was completely de-familiarizing. She had never met such an amazing guy. AND IN NEW YORK TOO! City guys weren't so cordial. Everyone is use to living fast paced. Especially in today's day and age. Some people have sex on the first date! He didn't even kiss her on the lips tonight. Natalia held her hand close to her chest and smiled. Then she realized that all he said was 'good night' when he left. He didn't mention anything about calling her again or going out again. Natalia suddenly felt nervous. She really wanted to see him again. She thought back to her date.

They sat down and had a classic picnic dinner. Sandwiches, fruit, choice of juice or soda. Natalia had laughed when she saw everything. Royce laughed with her, "I know. I know. It's not super extravagant, but I always thought that it's the little things that count." Natalia smiled at the memory. He was so cute and simple. This guy was really something.

They had continued talking. Natalia found that he was so easy to talk to. Not many people had that quality. She found that most people were just an easy talk. She would start the conversation and the other person would just ramble on and on. Not Royce. When he asked her something he would wait and listen. When she interrupted him mid-sentence to ask him something he would stop and listen, then answer her question. He didn't get annoyed or impatient with her all night. That was definitely something remarkable, Natalia thought to herself. Her thoughts began to take a dark turn and she stopped herself.

She began to remember what he was saying about becoming a singer.

 "Do you play an instrument?" She asked.

 "No. I mean I play a little guitar, but I'm not really a great musician. I focus my energy on my lyrics."

 "Can you sing me something?"

 "I'll do you one better, I'll play you something."

Natalia thought that he was going to pull out a music player and play her a track. She was surprised once again to see him grab a guitar that was hiding behind a tree. He began to strum a little and then began to sing.

 Y ya me contaron

 Que te acomplejas de tu imagen 

 Y mira al espejo

 Que linda eres sin maquillaje

 Y si eres gorda o flaca todo eso no me importa a mí

 Y tampoco soy perfecto

 Sólo sé que yo te quiero así

 Y el corazón no tiene cara

 Y te prometo que lo nuestro nunca va a terminar

 Y el amor vive en el alma

 Ni con un deseo sabes que nada de ti va a cambiar

 Prenda una vela

 Rézale a Dios

 Y dale gracias que tenemos ese lindo corazon

 Prenda una vela

 Pide perdón

 Y por creer que  tu eres fea te dedico esta canción

Natalia had tears fill her eyes. The song was so beautiful. It was so real. "I want my music to touch hearts and inspire. I don't just want to talk about love and heart-break like so many artists do. Yeah, bachata can speak of love in the most beautiful way, but I want to talk about things that relate to people. I want people to hear my music and say 'Wow. That is exactly how I'm feeling,'" he explained.

In one night Natalia found a sweet and humble guy...And he didn't promise to call?! That one little fact was driving Natalia crazy. She began to pace her living room when suddenly the phone rang.

"Hello?"

 "Hey Natie. I'm calling just because I wanted to make sure everything is fine over there."

Natalia turned her head away from the phone and sighed in relief, "Yes, everything is great. Thank you. I, uh, had a great time tonight. I'm still thinking about that song you sang to me."

"I'm glad you had a great time. And I'm glad you liked the song."

"It was great! I really think you have a chance to get to where you want to be."

"Thank you...it means a lot."

"You're welcome...Uh, I have tickets to the upcoming Yankees game...Would you like to go with me?"

 "I'd love to! That's my team!"

"Great! The game is next Saturday. I'll pick you up."

 "No!...I'll pick you up. Don't worry we can take a cab this time," He laughed.

"Okay. I'll be looking forward to it."

 "Me too."

They hung up. Natalia thought back to the last part of the call—that was odd. Why was he so immediate to not let her pick him up? Was it because of where he lived? Or was it because he was too manly to let a girl pick him up? That last one pissed her off immediately. She brought herself under control. She liked him too much to let herself get in the way again. They were going out again next weekend and she was going to enjoy herself as much as she did tonight.