Chapter 10

Months Later.

~Natalia~

Royce and Natalia have officially been a couple for a few months now. They were almost inseparable. Natalia, who is an extreme introvert that prefers to stay home and only go out if she absolutely has to, now goes out most days of the week. Royce has really brought out the best in her. She smiled more often and enjoyed going out with him. Even  Sam and Veronica had noticed. Natalia laughed at herself when she remembered what introducing Royce to them was like....

~~~~~

It was officially Natalia's 20th birthday. Royce had turned 18 recently. "Hey! Just remember that at least now you can't go to jail or be called a pedophile" He joked. Natalia groaned and buried her head in her pillow. He had showed up early and surprised her with breakfast in bed while she was still sleeping. He doesn't cook, but he brought over some breakfast from IHop and laid it out nicely in front of her. She smiled and picked up a plastic fork. Natalia then patted the space next to her and invited him to join her. They ate and enjoyed their morning. This is nice, Natalia thought. And then the nice moment was ruined when Veronica and Sam busted into her room yelling, "Surprise! Happy Birthday..." their voices trailed off when they saw Royce sitting on the bed next to her. There was an awkward silence for several seconds as the couple looked at Royce, then to Natalia, then back to Royce.

Natalia finally cleared her throat and said, "Veronica. Sam...This is Geoffrey Royce Rojas....my boyfriend." Royce took the hint and stood up to shake hands with them. Sam recovered quickly and returned Royce's formality. Veronica, on the other hand, moved mechanically to shake his hand and just stood there with her jaw wide open and eyes almost bulging out of her skull. Natalia had enough of the awkward moment and got out of bed, "Well, let me just clean this up and we can all go out for the day!"

"I'll help you with that," offered Royce. And together they cleared all the food from the bed. As Royce was taking the left overs to the kitchen, Natalia made the bed. Sam had followed Royce to the kitchen. "Oh Lord," thought Natalia to herself. She knew Sam was going to try and find out as much as he can from Royce in the time that they are alone. Veronica, of course, stayed in the room with Natalia and bombarded her with questions as soon as she closed the door.

"Boyfriend?! How could you not tell me this! How long! Where! What?! WHO?!!"

"Happy birthday, Natalia. I hope you have many more! Oh, thank you V! How thoughtful of you," Natalia joked.

"THOUGHTFUL?? You're one to talk! How long have you had this dirty little secret?" Veronica accused.

Natalia rolled her eyes and told her everything starting from the bus stop. Veronica even walked into the bathroom with Natalia as she showered to continue to listen to the story. Natalia kicked her out, but Veronica would not stop talking until she heard the story continue on the other side of the door. When Natalia was finished, Veronica just stood there thoughtful for a moment. They were like sisters, so Natalia could tell that Veronica had processed everything and was just hurt that she hadn't been told sooner. Natalia sat next to her on the bed and clasped her hands around Veronica's and apologized, "I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner. But it was nice...just the two of us...Royce and I, I mean..." her words trailed off. Natalia honestly didn't know how to put into words what she was feeling. She loved Veronica like a sister. She was the one Natalia turned to when she felt down. Veronica was the only person that understood who Natalia was and also gave her the comfort to be herself without judgment. But Royce did the same. He didn't know everything about her yet, but Natalia felt like maybe one day he could.

Veronica looked at her best friend understanding her silence and put her arms around her. They sat there just embracing each other until Veronica pulled back a little to say, "I know." Natalia smiled and hugged her again. "You get me. That's why we're best friends," Natalia said.

"That's right. There is no way you can get rid of me. You know too much," Veronica replied. They both laughed and got up to celebrate Natie's special day.

~~~~~

That was about three months ago. Veronica finally calmed down with her questions about him and stopped scrutinizing him so much, which relieved both Natalia and Royce. Natalia was grateful that she didn't have to deal with the same attitude from Sam because he was more laid-back. Of course he had the stern talk with Royce about not hurting Natalia--kind of like a big brother. Natalia loved Sam like a brother and was so glad that he was around and making her best friend happy. She was lucky to have both of them as her friends. There was nothing she couldn't get through without them.

"You ready?" Royce asked.

Natalia nodded. She took Royce's hand and walked out of her apartment. They were off on another adventure in the city. Natalia was excited as always. The dates they go on are always fun. She can't tell if it's the experiences or the person she shares them with, but she looks forward to the days when Royce has a day off and takes her to the most simple places and makes them extraordinary.