Chapter 9

~Royce~

Saturday didn't come fast enough for Royce. Not only was he going to see his girl again, but they were going to a Yankees game! He was so excited. Royce got off the subway, called a cab, and gave the driver Natalia's address. He sat there in silence thinking about a week ago when they talked. He worried that he had been too quick to prevent Natalia going to his house. Royce wasn't ashamed about where he came from, but he was still trying to impress this girl. He didn't want to scare her away if she cared that he didn't come from high wealth. Well, she knows he works at IHop so it's obvious that he isn't rich. He sat in silence thinking about what he was going to do when the time came to tell her where he's from.

The cab pulled up in front of Natalia's apartment and Royce got out to knock on the door. He collected himself from the mental torment he was suffering in the cab and knocked on the door. When the door opened, Royce smiled. Natalia was wearing jeans and a t-shirt. Her hair was in a ponytail and she looked completely relaxed. Plain and comfortable, yet she still looked beautiful. "Shall we go?" Royce asked and held out his arm. "We shall," Natalia smiled and took his arm. They walked towards a really nice Mercedes. Natalia went around to the driver's seat when Royce just stood on the sidewalk gaping at it.

"I know. I know. I actually wouldn't have picked it for myself, but it was a birthday present. Hop in," she said.

Royce offered a small smile and got in wordlessly. He started thinking that maybe he was in over his head. Who gets a Mercedes as a birthday present? Definitely not people in his neighborhood and obviously not him. He couldn't even afford any type of car. He was working for his top priority of funding his first album. While Royce was trying to deal with his internal struggle, Natalia looked over at him worriedly and asked him "are you okay?" Royce composed himself and looked at her and said "Yes." As they were getting nearer to Yankee Stadium and Royce was calming himself down. She wouldn't be dressed so casually and especially wouldn't be going to a baseball game if she wasn't down to earth. He should be glad they weren't going to some uptight country club or something. He finally calmed down when they reached the stadium. They walked through the main entrance and through the crowds pass the entrance doors to the main bleachers. Royce thought she wanted to buy food and drinks, or something, until they reached some stairs. Royce had seen them before, but hadn't thought much about them. He didn't know where they went and was curious as to why they were there. Natalia turned around to face him and said, "Okay. I have a surprise for you. I got a sky box for us!"

Royce wasn't sure what type of reaction she was expecting, but he just stood there with his mouth hanging wide open. He couldn't even speak. Sky Box? Sky Box! "Oh. Wow! That's...That's Unreal!" He exclaimed. Natalia smiled now that she knew he approved. They walked up to the room where it was only going to be the two of them. Royce shook his head, convinced that this was a dream. He grabbed her hand and assured himself that it was real and this girl really was something else.

They sat down to watch the game. He was having a good time and saw that Natalia was enjoying herself as well. "Do you follow baseball a lot?" Royce asked her. "Not really," she admitted sheepishly, "but I really like the game. I played softball a little during high school. I like watching a game here and there." 

Royce smiled at her answer. She may not be a huge fan, but she can keep up with the game and enjoy it. He was glad she wasn't like other girls who try to impress guys by googling a bunch of useless facts and try to out-cheer them during a game. He has been with some girls like that. No joke, once he brought a girl to Yankee Stadium and when one of the players ran from second to home, she yelled "Touch down!" Everyone looked at her funny and some gave her dirty looks. He felt so embarrassed! Especially since it was a score for the other team. He never asked her out again. The reminder of that day made Royce even more thankful than before that Natalia was nothing like that girl.

The game ended and Royce was ready to get up and leave when Natalia put her hand on his shoulder and said, "Wait. We have the box for another hour. Why don't we stay?" Royce was a  little confused. Why would they stay if the game was over? Then he got to thinking...

"We can do whatever you want back at your apartment. Or at our special place at the park," he told her shamelessly. 

"Oh my God, you pervert! That is NOT what I meant!"

Royce laughed, but was still very confused.

"I have another surprise for you. Can you just wait for a bit and I'll be right back. Don't go anywhere! I promise I'll be back."

"What? What are you talking about?"Royce was not just confused, but he was also getting suspicious.

"I promise you! Just wait..." and she left.

Royce sat down and just couldn't believe what happened. Where was she going and what does she mean "she promises to be back" and that he should promise "not to go anywhere?" Where was she going that was going to take so long, he would feel like he should leave? Well, instead of tormenting himself for the third time that day, Royce decided to just sit and wait for a bit. He always carried around a pen and some paper in his pocket, in case he wanted to write down lyrics somewhere. He was getting really into it, when Natalia appeared again and asked him to follow her. He checked his watch and saw that half an hour passed by. Wordlessly, and filled with suspicion, he followed her out.

She lead him though the stadium with a smile on her face. She looked so beautiful when she smiled, Royce couldn't help but smile too. She lead him down the stadium, near the locker room area. Royce was starting to get really excited. Did she really?...

Natalia turned and asked him, "Okay. Are you ready for this?"

"No. No. What did you do?" Royce asked getting more and more excited.

"Well. I...kinda know the coach for the Yankees. And I know how big a fan you are of Robinson Cano and.."

"No! Natalia. No. You. Did. NOT!"

She started nodding and said, "I called in a favor and got us a chance to meet your favorite ball player."

Royce was left utterly speechless. He could not believe his ears. There was no way that this woman, seriously, got him a chance to meet Robinson Cano. He started freaking out and kept chanting in his head "there's no way! There's no way! There's no way!"  At that moment, Robinson Cano himself walked out to greet them. There was no freaking way this was happening. Yet, there he was, Robinson Cano in the flesh, shaking his hand and greeting him. Royce was so excited he wanted to scream. This was probably the best day of his life. They talked with Cano for about ten minutes and it was like a dream. Royce just couldn't believe this was happening. Cano actually gave him a signed baseball bat! He wasn't letting go of it any time soon. 

They departed and Royce just kept looking down at his bat with the biggest smile glued to his face. Natalia looked at him and smiled, "I'm glad you had such a good time."

Royce looked at her and tried to thank her, but he was still speechless. Natalia nodded and understood what he meant. Royce kept smiling until he realized, "Crap. She outdid me on the second date." Well, it wasn't going to stay that way. After today, there was no way he was going to let this girl go. He was going to make up for this amazing date, by treating every date like the first one. Natalia was special and Royce was going to make her feel that way every time they were together.