Chapter 7

~Natalia~

Well, great! Natalia thought to herself. They were walking towards Central Park. Even though Royce refused to tell her where they were going, she could tell that is where his first thought would have lead him to. Not a too original idea, but it was a little different. It was about seven blocks away from her apartment, but it was still a long way to go! She tried to convince Royce to let her go back and change her shoes, but he refused saying that she would probably take forever to get back. Natalia admitted to herself that he was probably right. What if she couldn't find shoes that matched her outfit and their outing? She would have to change her whole outfit! She was getting a little annoyed, if they were going to Central Park, then he could at least get a cab for them.

"I know what you're thinking," Royce suddenly spoke.

Natalia looked up at him questioningly.

"You're wondering why I'm not calling a cab to take us there." He looked up and met her gaze, "Am I right?"

"Well, yeah. I have a feeling we're going to Central Park," she challenged him, "Am I right?"

Royce giggled, "Not too original I see."

"It's been done before, but not too often. I congratulate you though. It is a better idea than going to the movies. This way we can talk and actually get to know each other," Natalia replied.

"Well I'm glad you feel that way. Because it's exactly why I won't call a cab. We can talk more freely while taking a nice stroll through the sidewalk."

Natalia smiled, "I see what you're getting at. Okay, then. But I'm just gonna warn you—I'm gonna be too dead to walk by the time we get to the park."

"Don't worry, we'll stop walking once we get to our destination."

Natalia looked at him with more puzzlement than before. What does this guy have planned?

*****

As much as Natalia had started thinking this guy was just cheap and didn't want to take her anywhere, she realized that it was nice to just talk and stroll around the neighborhood. Sure it wasn't glamorous, but it was simple. Natalia had learned that simple could actually be better than extravagant and elegant. They talked about a hundred things. Favorite food, music, pass times, what they wanted to achieve in life...

"Wow. So you really want to be a singer?" Natalia asked Royce.

"Yeah. I just love music. I'm recording a demo CD with Bachata and a few pop songs. I just think that I can inspire a lot of people through music."

"That's amazing. So what do your parents think about that?"

"They're pretty supportive. Of course they worry like other parents would, so I'm in college just in case. But music is my primary goal."

"Wow. You're so confident. It's great that you're chasing your dreams. A lot of people would be discouraged and not try to go for them at all," Natalia said. Her words faltered a little at the end of the sentence.

"Yeah, but I don't want to live with any regrets. I want to look back in my life and say 'yeah, I did that' or 'at least I tried.' I don't want to think back and say 'what if?' Nah. I don't think that's the right way to live."

Natalia let his words sink in. He was right. It wasn't the right way to live your life. But then again, he had the support of his parents...

"We're finally here!" Royce suddenly said snapping Natalia out of her reverie. Natalia looked around her and gasped. They had walked into a small clearing where twinkling lights were strung about tree branches above them. In the middle of the clearing was a small picnic setting. She looked up and the few stars that could be seen in the city were shinning over them accompanied by the moon that was full and bright that night.

"How...How did you?..."

Royce smiled, "I had a couple friends set this up with me this afternoon. Not many people know about this part of the park, but sometimes someone can stumble into this place. My friends were watching it for me until we got here. Now we're completely alone and can continue our date."

Natalia was speechless. She hadn't even realized they made it to the park. Her feet weren't killing her at all. She was just completely awestruck. No one had even come close to a date such as this one. Geoffrey Royce Rojas was definitely a breath of fresh air.