I Hate That You Don't Care What Others Think

"Theater twelve. Last door on your right! Enjoy your movie!"

      My over enthusiastic directions earned me a deadpan expression from the woman before me, but the cute little girl trailing behind her flashed me a gap toothed smile that made the every word worth it. Once they were down the dimly lit hallway, opposite of a poster for the newest Marvel movie to be released early next year, I spun on my heel and headed for Mikey behind the concession stand. He was in the midst of changing out the old, stale popcorn in the machine, the back of head gleaming with beads of sweat.

     "I would do anything to be on concession tonight." I grumbled, leaning over the counter and propping my head on my hand. "It's so dead. At least if I was over here with you I'd be able to make myself useful.

Mikey laughed, tuning to face me. The brim of his Camelot Cinemas hat hit the edge of the tub of old popcorn he was holding between his hands and, if it weren't for Mikey's ninja reflexes, would have ended up a giant mess on the multicolored tile under his black dress shoes.

At least it would have given him something to do.

    "Stop distracting me." He said with a glare, but the playfulness in his voice was a reassurance he wasn't really upset. "Dave put you at the ticket stand today because he figured everyone would rather see a beautiful girl than me."

      I snickered at the comment. "Yeah, okay. Because a girl in an oversized red shirt and ugly khakis is so attractive, Mike."

     He shrugged a shoulder as he dropped the bucket of popcorn into the trash can just outside the concession stand. "I think you look beautiful in everything you wear, Rory."

     "You have to say that, you're my best friend."

       "I say that from on objective standpoint, my love. A peek into the mind of the disgusting male species." He winked as he stretched his arms across the glass showcase full of candy. "If I were into chicks, you'd totally be my first choice, Aurora. You're naturally beautiful, witty, funny, and totally beast at every video game."

      I fanned myself. "Oh, Michael. You're making me blush."

      "Cute." He rolled his eyes. "I'm serious, Rory. It's probably why Onyx is suddenly so interested in you. Because he can't accept such a beautiful girl doesn't like him."

     "If that were the case, Mike, he's had seventeen yeas to say something to me. We literally sit at the same table every weekend for hours. Not once did he ever utter a single word."

      Not that I was complaining about it. I'd actually been relieved that Onyx had never taken an interest in me. I would have also been one hundred percent okay to never speak his name aloud again, but Mike didn't seem to get the hint the way Angie did. After our conversation a couple days ago, she hadn't mentioned a word about him, and I liked it that way.

    "Oh no." Mike breathed, his lips remaining parted as he stared in absolute horror over my shoulder. "Hide me."

      I quirked a brow as he ducked behind the concession stand in front of me. Deciding I should probably greet whoever had walked in, I turned and immediately wanted to take a nose dive over the counter and join my best friend.

     Onyx had walked in, a couple guys, a pretty brunette, and the cheerleader from Algebra II at his tail. My eyes grazed right passed the blond boy and fell on what had caused my extroverted best friend to retreat into himself. Levi Hampton, pitcher and member of the student council, stood to Onyx's right. He'd been the first openly gay player who had also done a ton of advocating for LGBTQ rights on every planning committee for the last four years. He'd always been just out of Mike's reach, and early Sophomore year, Levi had accidently friendzoned the hell out of him.