I Hate Your Narcissistic Attitude

My eyelids had just fluttered shut when large hands grasped my shoulders and shook the life out of me. They immediately shot open to meet my best friend's big brown eyes, glistening with excitement as he bounced on the balls of his feet in front of me.

"I love you! I love you! I love you!"

He then yanked me into him, clutching me so tightly to his chest I couldn't get a full breathe out. "Can't. . .breathe. . .Mike."

He released me, but kept one of his hands on my shoulder blade, the grin on his face not wavering the slightest bit.

Once I was sure he'd calmed himself, I crossed my arms and leaned into my locker. "I take it Friday night went well?"

He stared dreamily over my shoulder down the hall where Levi's locker was.

"Yes." His eyes flickered back to me. "Levi kissed me. I mean, he was a little drunk, but he still leaned in and kissed me, Rory! I think I finally escaped the friendzone."

I felt a smile finally inching across my face as I reached out and squeezed his shoulder. "I told you it'd happen. Now I bet you won't question me."

"Never again." he leaned forward and pinched my cheek like my grandmother at Christmas. "You little matchmaker you."

I laughed, ready to respond when I felt something warm set in my hand. Thinking it's Angie, I brought the coffee cup to just below my mouth when I caught sight of the blond mess of hair a few feet away. Holding the cup between Mikey and me, I looked to Onyx and asked, "Is it poisoned?"

He cracked a smile and brushed a strand of hair out of his eyes. "My mom saw you leave the house this morning. Told me if I didn't stop and pick one up for you she'd have my head."

"Tell your mom I love her." I said with a grin, then shoved the cup in Mikey's face. "Take a sip and make sure it's not poisoned."

Mikey stared at me, touching his hand over his chest dramatically. "And what if it is?"

Onyx stepped between us, shaking his head with amusement lighting his eyes. "I'll see you in Chem, Sky."

I fell back a step so I was beside Mikey and we watched the back of Onyx's head disappear down the hallway and into the last classroom on the left. Mike waited until he was sure he wasn't going to poke his head back out and listen in, before he whispered, "Is it me or was that a little sus?"

I shrugged a shoulder, eyeing the cup for a second before taking the risk and sipping at it.

I wasn't sure what was more surprising; the fact that Onyx Hayes had stopped on his way to school to get me a coffee or the fact that I actually liked it.

*

Luckily the coffee hadn't been poisoned and had the opposite effect; I was actually human again walking into first period. What was unfortunate was that the second Angie and I stepped into the cafeteria, our eyes fell on Mikey sitting at Levi's table-Onyx opposite of them beside Ty. I couldn't say I wasn't a little shook seeing them in such close proximity of one another after hearing Ty's bitterness for him, but they didn't seem to be speaking to one another anyway. In fact, Onyx was staring so intensely at his phone I wouldn't be surprised if he was unaware Ty was beside him.

"Rory, hey!" Ty shouted, standing up and waving for extra added effect. Angie's eyes widened and she looked to me with a confused, though slightly concerned, look.