I Hate Your Dumb Parties

Close to two weeks of complete avoidance of Onyx Hayes left me with hope that our moment in his yard was just a fluke.

Sadly, my peace came to an end the moment I got word of him throwing a party tonight while his mother was out of town with mine-and that everyone was going to be there.

Ty had become a little more open with our PDA, though I caught Erica watching some days in the halls, she didn't outright try and get between us. To my relief, we spent most of our time with Mikey and Levi when I wasn't working, and at school we only really saw one another at lunch.

All day at school everyone was hyped for the party, but I knew, without a doubt, I needed to get what happened with Onyx off my chest-and telling Mikey just wasn't an option considering he was dating someone in my boyfriend's friend group. So the second Angie said she'd be getting ready at my house for the party next door, I decided to take it as my chance. I joined her in the bathroom while she was doing her makeup and leaned back against the wall and said, "I think Onyx almost kissed me the night of my first date with Ty."

Angie was so shocked she smeared her eyeliner and cursed quietly, grabbing one of my makeup removers as she responded, "Girl, what are you talking about?"

"I mean, he was outside when I got home and we started talking. It got kind of personal about Olivia, and I kind of leaned against his shoulder and when he turned to look at me I thought for sure he was going to kiss me."

She finished her liner then turned around and crossed her own arms, giving me a disappointed look. "Okay, Rory, the real question here isn't if he was going to kiss you, but if you wanted him to."

I swallowed hard, then tried to cover up what I'd said, "I mean, maybe it was just in my head. Maybe I was imagining—"

"Rory." she said with a warning tone. "Did you want him to kiss you?"

I knew better than to lie to her. "I don't know."

"You finally get a boyfriend, a hot one at that, and are going to screw it up over Onyx freaking Hayes." she extended her arms and shook me like a rag doll. "You're not going to let him ruin a good thing for you."

"You're right." I whispered, nodding. "I really like Ty."

She grinned, then turned back to the mirror and said, "Of course I'm right. I always am."

*

I waited patiently out on the front steps for Ty to go and join my friends at Onyx's house next door. Once he hopped out of his car he jogged up the driveway to meet me with a kiss and kept his arm over my shoulder as we shoved our way into the Hayes house and through the crowded kitchen. We found Mikey and Levi lounged on the sofa, watching a few other jocks that looked to be having a chugging contest. Unfortunately for me, my boyfriend was very much one of those jocks and immediately went to join them. Not interested in watching him get shitfaced, I squeezed Mikey's shoulder and smiled at Levi before heading up the stairs despite there being a KEEP OUT sign and a chain across them.

As soon as I reached the top, Onyx stepped out of his mother's room, and eyed me. "Did you not see the sign?"

"It doesn't apply to me." I responded with a shrug. "Olivia has told me I'm always welcome anywhere in the house."

He looked irritated, but I wasn't sure if it was from my comment or the reason for why he was up here in the first place. "Where's your boyfriend?"