I Hate That When You Look My Way. . .

"I don't know." I answered my best friend. "But I'm not exactly as nauseous as I should be over the thought."

Mikey shifted in front of the full-length mirror, adjusting his tie. He stared at my reflection with a quirked brow. "Maybe he just wants a distraction. Can't blame the guy after all that's happened the last couple weeks."

"I don't want to be just a distraction, Mike." I mumbled, fixing the strap on my heel. "But I also don't want to fifth wheel and spend the entire dance wondering how he is, you know?"

"I think you need to get out of your head, babe." Mikey walked over and crouched between my legs so he could fix my other heel. "You're a queen and you deserve to be treated like one. Even if it's by Onyx."

I thanked him quiet before standing, grasping his shoulder to keep myself from face planting. "Maybe heels weren't such a good idea."

"Babe, you won't even reach Hayes' chest without them."

"I think I should take that loss."

Mikey waved his finger in front of my face as if he were scolding a small child, "My love, you need to learn anyway. It's one night."

"You're annoying."

"Love you too, Rory."

I was thankful to have Mikey's arm to clutch on to the entire way down the stairs. I knew one wrong move and I'd be dancing with the on-call doctor at the ER.

I wasn't sure how to feel about my dress-Mom had picked it up last minute last night on her way home from work. It was a knee length white dress with lace sleeves and back that dipped at the cleavage, not that I had much to work with. Angie and her date, Sean, were in burgundy, Mikey and Levi in green. The color coordination was amazing, and I couldn't wait to see the pictures from tonight in a few days. Especially since I'd let Angie and Mikey do my hair and makeup without protest this time.

"Look at you!" Mom squealed like a school girl once we stepped off the last stair and into the living room. "All my little babies so grown up!"

Mikey started to back away, but my mom caught him and started to squeeze the life out of him before he could make a run for it. She snatched Angie from the kitchen table next, and my friend backed away from my mother crying and fanning herself so she wouldn't smear her makeup. I immediately held up a hand when she approached, "Be warned that if you make me cry I am not sitting through another hour and a half of Angie doing my makeup."

My mom hugged me and kissed my forehead, but she didn't say anything to me. I had a feeling she was saving it for when we were alone after the dance.

Once she'd gotten pictures of the three of us, she kicked my friends out. They left with a promise to meet me at the school, to which I nodded and followed my mother across the lawn to the Hayes front door. Mom had just lifted her hand to knock when Onyx opened the door.

There were three very audible gasps that followed as we took in appearances.

Something about Onyx Hayes in a white suit made him look angelic. The blue eyes and mess of unruly blonde waves only added to the image. He'd added blue accents of his own-a handkerchief and his tie was a shade darker than his irises.

"Oh, honey." Mom finally broke the silence, throwing her arms around Onyx and nearly knocking him over. He tore his eyes from me and hugged my mother back, his own eyes falling to the ground as he listened to whatever she was whispering to him. "You two look so perfect. My little prince and princess."