I Hate That Your Eyes Are So Beautiful

I didn't approach Onyx after his breakdown in his kitchen; partially because I was afraid of his reaction, and partially because I was afraid of my own.

His words, as much as I hated it, had struck a chord in me too. I had been living in this perfect little fantastical world where Olivia would magically get better. Unfortunately for me, Stage 4 Ovarian cancer wasn't going to just miraculously disappear. Olivia Hayes was really going to die, and it made my chest hurt thinking about it. Every time my mother's number lit my screen I'd about faint in fear it'd be the call.

"Hey."

I shut my locker and met Ty's curious hazel eyes, mischief lighting them as he took in my fashion decision for the day. I'd been far too exhausted to try and hunt down clothes, so I'd grabbed Onyx's oversized Guns N' Roses shirt and Ty's Letterman and thrown them over a pair of leggings. Fortunately, Ty had no idea it was Nyx's shirt and was far too focused on his jacket on me than anything else.

"You look sexy in that." he said, closing the distance between us and kissing me. "Let's go out tonight."

"Hmm?" I responded, processed his words, then asked, "Where?"

He shrugged a shoulder, "There's parties everywhere tonight. We can decide later."

I was definitely not in a partying mood, but couldn't find it in me to deny the offer of a date. "Okay."

"Okay." he grinned, and despite me falling back a step to avoid it, he leaned forward and kissed me again before disappearing into the incoming flood of our classmates rushing for the entrance of the school.

I adjusted my strap on my shoulder, preparing myself to walk when I caught sight of Erica watching me from just outside the girls bathroom down the hall. Her eyes glistened with fresh tears, but she quickly rushed into the restroom without a word and I was far too tired to chase her down and demand to know why she was so interested in my relationship.

I shot Michael a text on my way out of the school, but was intercepted on my way to the lot and dropped my phone in surprise. A hand grabbed it from the ground and set it back in my palm as I looked up to eye down the culprit of my mini heart attack.

Mikey's teammate, Ray, was standing in front of me, his hands now tucked in the pockets of his shorts, eyes roaming my own for something he surely wouldn't find as I had no idea why he'd approached.

"Hey, Ray." I whispered, eying him in confusion. "Is Mike okay? What's up?"

"I just wanted to check on you." he said, confusing me further.

"Huh?" I wondered. "Why?"

He cocked his head to the left, thick, dark brows drawing in confusion. "The party? Do you not remember?"

"What about the party?"

"You were wasted, Rory. Like, you couldn't even walk. I was trying to take you back to your house next door, but that dude, the one your dating, he assured me that he'd take you. He kept fighting me on it."

My heart started to race hearing the words. "I don't remember anything."

"He was giving me weird ass vibes." Ray stated, scratching at the back of his neck anxiously. "I don't know, Rory, something just seems off with him."

"Thanks for checking on me." I whispered, then, just as I turned, I looked over at him, "Did you see Onyx Hayes go into my house after Ty had taken me back?"