Chapter 7: Truth Out

I had been chatting it up with James for about nearly an hour now and the conversation was definitely not your typical bar talk.

For one, he seemed to have no sexual interest in me whatsoever. Which was surprising. Why even buy me a drink? I honestly didn't know what this guy wanted from me. He didn't seem like a bad guy either. From how long we've been talking I feel like I would've gotten that vibe.

"So the bartender says you come here a few times a week? Do you live nearby?"

I wanted more information out of him. We've talked for a decent amount of time and he's managed to share so little about himself.

"Actually, I don't. I'm a motivational speaker and travel a lot. I only come here when I'm not due for work." He pushed his glasses further into his face and clasped his empty shot glass. I studied him intently.

A motivational speaker? I had doubted I ever met someone with such a job. Fairly though, I lived in a small town most of my life. It was highly unlikely to anyway. But I feel like I would've heard of him, right? Or someone in this bar?

"Interesting...I've never heard of you." I told him honestly. He snickered at the bold and brutal comment.

"I'm new to the business. I have family from here so I stay here when I'm not required."

It seemed believable, I just had a hard time buying it. He was a supposed regular here, yet he's not even from here? I could only stay silent and drink in acceptance. I didn't want to pester someone I barely knew.

"Hey, you two! The bars closing soon. It's nearly one a.m. Are you able to drive? I can call a taxi or something."

This bar closes at one? I huffed in annoyance. What bar closes at one a.m?! James rolled his eyes and took money out of his wallet, paying for both of our last drinks. I certainly did some damage to his wallet tonight.

"I'm fine. Are you, Y/N?" James looked at me curiously.

"So am I, thank you."

The Southern man nodded and took out empty shots, leaving the area. I awkwardly sat there not sure what to do. We both just got kicked out of the bar. I didn't even realize no one was here besides us. I panicked slightly. What am I supposed to say to him now?

"Are you sure you're okay to drive? You did have a lot to drink." He grabbed his coat from behind his chair and began putting it on himself, I grabbed my purse and stood up.

"I'll be fine. Thanks." I fiddled with the things in my purse to distract myself from the man in front of me, "Are you leaving to travel soon? It was nice talking to you."

All in all, the man reminded me of William. I hated to admit it, but I had the slightest hope that maybe he was using a fake identity again. Maybe he would say his little pet names or come out of hiding when we got outside.

But instead, he held a cute little smirk on his face as he stared downwards at me. I had a sensation I was about to get my feelings hurt.

"Unfortunately, I am. I can give you my number though. I'll give you a call when I get back in town?"

My eyes shined as hope was restored back into my body.

"Uh, yes! Of course. Here, type in your number on my phone."

James took my phone and typed in his number. He sent a message to himself to make sure it would go through. I stood there patiently, happy that I was finally talking to a guy that wasn't Henry or Cole.

That guy possibly even being William...

"Okay, thanks. I'll text you. Have a good night, Y/N." James gave my phone back and whether I was imagining it or not, I swore his hand lingered on mine longer than normal. He smiled as he waved goodbye.

"You too." I smirked.

Once he officially left the bar, I put my phone back in my purse and looked around the bar. No one was here besides me. I needed to use the bathroom so I would probably do that before I left.

As I started, the bartender walked back into the pub. He looked at me with surprise. He was probably wondering why I'm still here.

"Do you need an escort?" He sighed. I raised a brow in confusion.

"Why would I need an escort?"

"Sit down, let me explain now that he's gone." The slightly balding man threw a rag over his shoulder and waved me over. I obeyed and sat down on a bar stool.

"I don't like serving that customer. He creeps me and the other people in here out. Every time he talks to someone, which is pretty rarely, they always end up leaving with him or needing an escort. One called the police on him once. I haven't heard from him since..."

My heard thudded against my chest and rang through my ears. Paranoid, I looked around the bar to make sure I was safe. We were alone. But I didn't feel it. I couldn't believe I fell for that charm. He was probably one of Cole's hitmen!

"What do you know about him?" I spoke lowly and cautiously. As if someone were watching.

"Like I said earlier, not much really. He had this Uncle that died—I think? Not positive. Anyway, every time he talks to someone, he claims they will go join his Uncle. He seems to be part of some sort gang or illegal group. He has other men with him at times and they usually talk similarly like that. I don't usually see him approach a young lady such as yourself with such innocent intentions, which is why I'm warning you before you do something you regret. He might want something serious with you."

"What could he want with me?! I don't even know him!" I fought back defensively. I had lived a peaceful life mostly. I had no idea what he would want from me.

"That's something you'll have to answer yourself. I'm just here to tell you that nothing good ever comes out of talking to him." His brows furrowed and he looked expectedly at me.

"...Do you think I'm safe to go home?" I whispered, leaning in.

"I don't know, kid. I really don't know."