Chapter 13: Date Gone Wrong

It was the night I was supposed to go to James' house and I was stressing.

I had brought a few weapons in my pocket, just in case of an emergency. And I had given the kids over to Henry in case anyone tried to harm them.

It was extra, but I just wanted to be safe. The Afton family has been known to have a run for bad luck. Especially dealing with James. There was something at his house, I knew it. Whether it be a clue or William himself, I'd find out soon.

I decided to drive myself there. If for some reason I needed to escape, I didn't want to have to run for my life. Plus, the car was much faster than I was.

I patted the leather pants I had put on and knocked on James' door. My hair was neatly kept as well. I wanted to look as if I actually liked him. Enhancing the role, I suppose.

The door suddenly swooshed open. "Y/N, come in."

Begrudgingly, I took a step onto his wooden floor. I noticed how clean he kept his household, I was slightly in astonishment. The kids always made a mess at our house. I could never get it to look like this.

"Ha, do you like it so far?" He chuckled, taking notice in my admiration.

"Yes! I don't know how you're able to keep it this nice..."

"Well, to be honest, I have my maids do it for me. They aren't here tonight though." The last bit was meant to be suggestive, but I wasn't stuck on that part. I was caught up on the fact this guy had his own personal servants. I mean, his house did look pretty big, but I didn't expect that.

"How do you pay for your own maids?!"

"Part of my job. Never mind that. I have a dinner prepared for us. Follow me." James grinned, gesturing for me to follow him up his grand staircase. I stood still for a moment, looking around for any clues, before inevitably following him.

I bet his 'maids' made the dinner too...

The dinner table was rectangular, with a fancy table cloth covering it. I found it a little corny though. There was a candle lit up between our dinner plates. He had set up candle lit dinner. Those are supposed to be romantic.

In conclusion, I was dreading this.

"Oh, wow..." I muttered.

He only smirked and pulled out my chair for me. It would've been charming if he wasn't a fugitive.

"You look beautiful, by the way." He put his hands on his cheeks and gushed at me. I could only internally cringe and squirm in my chair, wishing for some sort of miracle.

"Thanks." God, this is so awkward. "How is work?"

"I'd rather not speak about work at the dinner table." He laughs, putting a quantity of steak in his mouth. I had no other questions for him. I was really only here for William. I didn't care about him, I just wanted answers.

He decides that apparently our conversation wasn't over. "So, Y/N, what do you like to do for fun?"

"I like to look for my missing boyfriend."

Something slams from underneath our table, probably his knee. I think I had made him snap or something. His smile was cracking and I could see a frown upon his face.

"Anything else?"

"Um..." I don't want to get kicked out before getting more evidence. "I like to play with my kids." A wave of self-hatred washed over me instantly, that was definitely not the right answer.

"Oh, really?" He perks up, "Would you ever want to be a real mother someday?"

I don't know which part was worse. The implication that he wants to impregnate me, or the fact he called me a fake mother. Either way, I was fuming.

"Excuse me, I am a real mother." I deeply regretted my decision to come here. I should've just pulled the information out of Cole, but I was too impatient. And now I had to deal with this.

"Sure! I was simply saying that those aren't really you're kids. You raised them, but you didn't birth them."

He was really getting on my nerves. It was getting hard for me to stay composed. How could he be so insensitive?! No wonder he's a fucking criminal!

"You know what? I think I'll get going now." I sat up from my chair, wiping my face with a napkin and throwing it onto his prissy plates.

"Woah! It's not that big of a deal. Don't leave now! You just got here!" He stood up as well, and he looked about ready to pounce on me if I took another step forward. It was going to be a challenge to get out of here.

"It is to me! I'm getting the hell out of here! I can't deal with your toxic ass for another second!"

He looked enraged. I could care less. I darted for his front door. Though, I panicked when I heard footsteps behind me. I began to walk faster, trying to outrun him. I felt him grab my wrists.

"No. You're not."

I struggled in his grasp, attempting to free myself. He had both my hands in his own.

An idea popped up inside my mind.

"FUCK." James collapsed onto the floor and clutched his crotch in agony. I stood above him, pridefully, before making a run for it again.

I was almost there. My hand was inches away from the doorknob—

"He's here."

"I can sense him."

Startled, I looked around for the voice. No one. But it was familiar. A females voice. She gave me an ominous feeling.

"William?" I spoke to the air.

"He's here, sickly."

She said nothing more.

James was near. I was screwed. I had two choices.

I would feel overwhelmingly guilty if I chose to save myself, knowing William was here the whole time...

Just then, I heard thumping footsteps.