Chapter 8: Confrentation and Escalation

The ride home was rather disturbing for myself and my continuous paranoid thoughts were interrupting my normal thinking process. I couldn't help but let my imagination wonder. And it was understandable too. After all, that man's behavior was clearly delinquent and with all of things I've been experiencing...I decided against ever returning to that bar or seeking James out.

My curious will not kill me today.

I walked inside my home and double checked to make sure all the doors were locked, and making sure the kids were sound asleep. Thankfully, everyone was where they were supposed to be.

My bedroom had a eery dreadful feeling, but I ignored it. I had a gut-instinct that I would feel this paranoia wherever I go. It was just something that came along with being an ex of Afton's.

Sighing, I took off my black jacket unzipped my dress. Not caring where I placed my shoes I practically kicked them near my doorway, hoping they'd land somewhere respectable. Then I put on my oversized pajamas and immediately crawled into bed.

I heard a buzz as soon as my eyes closed.

James: Hey ;)

I panicked, racing to turn my room lights on immediately. I was alone but I didn't feel like it.

Didn't he give me his number?! I was confused, until I realized I had sent him a 'test message' earlier to see if it would go through.

Wonderful.

Y/N: Hey.

I looked at the time and it was nearly three a.m. Surely he would've made it to his home by now? I wondered why James wasn't sleeping, then I realized it's probably something I don't want to know.

James: Did you get home safely?

I chuckled to myself. He was probably following me anyway! With instinct, my first reaction was to go see if my kids were alright, but I knew I would've heard something if he were to break in.

Y/N: Yes. It's so late! Why are you up?

James: I just wanted to make sure you got home safely. I'll text you in the morning.

Y/N: Okay, goodnight.

James: Goodnight Y/N

Something about him using my name unsettled me. I couldn't put my finger on it though. He reminded me a lot of Cole, just a bit more controlled and charismatic. I wondered if the two ever crossed paths, or worked together in the same illegal manner...

Henry: Go to sleep!

Baffled, I take a look at my surroundings but notice no signs of my friendly, father-figure.

Y/N: How do you know I'm up right now?!

Henry: I've known you since you were in diapers! And I drove by your street and saw your bedroom lights on!

Y/N: Well why are YOU driving at 3 AM??

Henry: Goodnight!

Grunting now, I placed my phone down on the night stand and hesitantly fell asleep.

~

I decided on it being take-your-kids-to-work-day, as it was a day off from school for the three Afton's and I didn't want to leave them home alone all day. Chris and Elizabeth were actually pretty pleased. Michael was being a typical teenager.

"When we get in there, I want you to stay away from the ginger-haired, worker, Cole."

"Why?" Elizabeth inquired.

"He's a meanie to your mother." I smirked, knowing that would be enough to the Chris and Lizzy to leave him alone. Michael rolled his eyes and stepped out of the car.

"Ugh! I hate bullies. I have these annoying girls at my school who are meanies too." Elizabeth folded her arms and scrunched her face into a disgusted expression. I perked up from this, quirking a brow in concern. So did Michael.

"Are they mean to you?"

"Yeah! They always pull my hair and laugh at me! Is Cole like that too?" She looked upwards at me, eyes filled with curiosity. Chris had the same look and Michael looked like he wanted to pulverize someone. I didn't really know how to answer this question. I was supposed to have a motherly response, but I was still warming up to that idea three years later.

"Not exactly. But that's also a meanie, Elizabeth. I'm glad you told me, I'm going to talk to the teacher and get them to stop."

She simply smiled without showing her teeth and looked up ahead. There wasn't room for much more conversation as we all entered the pizzeria and we no longer could have our own family talks.

"Ah, Hello Ms. L/N. Are these your kids?"

The man greeting us was Cole, to my displeasure, as he was clearly waiting at the main entrance for something or someone.

"Isn't this the person?" Chris muttered, hiding behind me. Elizabeth shushed him and glared at the man before us. I couldn't read Michael but he seemed pretty bored with the drama.

"Yes. Why are you here so early Cole?"

"I'm waiting for Henry, ma'am. We're going over construction today for the new attraction."

Inwardly, I was filled with anger. Why wasn't I aware of this? Why didn't Henry tell me? But I was also conflicted with fear and terror. That attraction couldn't be built. I hadn't forgotten about that sketchy letter.

"I didn't approve of this."

Michael seemed to pick up on the escalating conversation and his eyes wandered back into the vicinity, his body language shifting into one with interest and defense.

"I'm sorry, Ms. L/N but you are not the owner of Freddy's. You're approval is not needed." His tone was sincere, but his face had a smile that held mockery in it and I just wanted to punch it.

"I am the co-owner, a way higher rank than you, and I don't appreciate this attitude." Elizabeth and Chris looked up at me in glee.

There was a sudden ping and the attention was immediately brought to my phone dangling from my pockets. Cole smirked.

"I heard you hit it off with James pretty well last night. Good for both of you. Though, I thought we had something here..." He laughed incredulously. My heart thudded against my own chest at hearing these words. He had basically just proven my theory, admitted it. Why?

"How do you know him?!"

"I don't think you should ask me such personal questions as my boss, Y/N. I might get the wrong idea..." He cackled, having a hysterical fit with my doomed face.

"I'm not coming on to you! Answer my question!"

Michael was very concerned at this point. It was understandable since he had no idea I had even gone out at last night. And my panicked face and tone was clearly alarming everyone else.

"My, I wouldn't be so aggressive while your children are watching. You wouldn't want them to think of you like their father."

I gritted my teeth as Michael pulled Elizabeth and Chris to the arcade. He knew that them hearing about William would be confusing and damaging till they get a bit older.

"What gives you the right?! Are you forgetting I can fire you!?" I exclaimed, pointing my finger to the door.

"Oh, but you won't. Because I know where your dearest William is and you just can't resist that."

I cracked my knuckles.