Marital Duties

After falling asleep late in the night Maryanne was awoken by one of the maids. A bath was drawn for her and it was filled with lovely smelling oils and flower petals floating in the water. She let herself sink and the maids started scrubbing her skin and cleaning her hair. Back home she didn't have a maid with her while in the bath, this felt somewhat weird to her. She closed her eyes and let the water wash over her head. A plate of food for breakfast was brought in and set on the table and a heavy warm robe was laid over her shoulders and she was directed to the breakfast. She could hardly stomach the scent of the food but knew she had to eat something.

Maids behind her were running in and out of the room with pieces of fabric, stuff for her hair and make-up products. Maryanne just let them tug and push her around the room while her hair and make-up was being done.

At last, her wedding dress was brought in. She was instantly gob smacked. It was beautiful. The under dress was crème colored with lace in the same color over it. It had a fanned-out skirt with small green jeweled dots on it. A belt made of green sapphires was laid around her waist. The dress had skintight lace sleeves that looked beautiful with her fair skin under it. Maryanne looked in the mirror and smiled softly. "Milady you look beautiful" A made said smiling softly.

Two others came in both holding onto another big piece of fabric but that was green. The clipped it onto her back and fanned it out onto the floor. The heavy fabric made for a beautiful train behind her dress and was easily removable for after the ceremony. Her jewelry was also laid in with green sapphires. In her ears dangling drops of green like her necklace was too. The tiara finished it all with the same green sapphires. It all looked amazing together and she couldn't lie. They knew their fashion.

Behind her a door had opened and her mother had come in. "Darling... you look amazing" she said walking up to Maryanne, Maryanne smiled and nodded "It certainly is mother.... Do you think my betrothed would approve?" she looked over to her mother who in her turn looked back at her "He must! How could he not!" she exclaimed.

Maryanne sighed the pit in her stomach had only gotten bigger as the minutes ticked away, and they were called for the ceremony to start. The walk through the castle felt like it was going in slow motion as she felt every eye in it stick to her as she walked by. Two guards in front of her and her father held her arm as they made their way. Her heart almost bouncing out of her chest once again. When she stood in front of the big doors, she heard her name as they announced her. Father looked at her and gave a soft nod.

Maryanne had her head down when she stepped foot in the big and airy room. She could hear a pin drop, but her ears were ringing at the same time. She felt her father drag on her arm a little and she knew she had to look up and step up. After all. She had no choice. The walk to her soon-to-be looked like miles but it was only a short path lined with chairs where different noblemen were seated, and they all looked at her.

When she stepped another step, her eye fell onto queen Alicent, stood next to a seated King Viserys, he didn't look that great she thought. Queen Alicent looked at her with a soft inviting smile. Another few steps forward she saw the Septon and then she looked Aemond in the face. He looked very nicely dresses. He had on also black and green. But much less embellished than hers but still she saw small green dots, green sapphires were also incorporated in his chest piece and sleeves. His hair was loose with a small braid in the back.

Her father's grip loosened, and she saw Aemond stretch out his hand to her, he smiled softly. A genuine one? She didn't know. She laid her hand in his and stepped up to align with him. She stood in front of him with her hands in his in between them.

The Septon spoke as he led the ceremony. He spoke many words and spoke blessings for the couple. He turned to Aemond "Prince Aemond Targaryen... Do you agree to wed this woman before you... Lady Maryanne of house Arryn to be her wedded husband until the day you die... to love and to cherish and to protect her against any evil that maybe casted upon her for all the years to come?" he spoke. Aemond looked at the septon and at Maryanne "I do... I vow to protect and fight for my lady wife and our future children... in good and bad times" he spoke and smiled a soft smile at her. It weirdly made her feel a little more at ease.