Married Life

The days after the wedding was a woozy time for Maryanne. She had moved into a room adjacent to Aemond's. She was glad she had her own quarters and mostly stayed in that making it her own but by bit. This morning she had awoken and was dressed by her maid and got ready for the day. She looked out the window and took in the warmth that flowed in. She grabbed a pencil and her little notepad she took with her from her home.

Outside the door a kings guard stood watch, Maryanne exited and looked over to the Kings guards who nodded at her "I am merely going to the gardens..." The guard nodded again and followed her as she made her way through the castle.

It had been quiet this morning. The men were out on a hunt which made her feel a little more at ease withing the castle and its surroundings, not feeling Aemond's or his sleezy brothers eyes in her back as she passed them. She smiled as she walked through the gardens over to the weirwood tree. It's large tree trunk was the best seat on warm days. The leaves shielding from the sun and the ground soft under her as she laid her back against it. She took out her pencil and started sketching. It felt good to have a little of herself with her here in Kings Landing.

In the evening she was summoned to break fast with the queen and her daughter princess Helaena. As she was turning the corner while making way to the quarters Helaena came walking in too and she looked up surprised and smiled at Helaena "Evening princess... I am honored to be joining you and your mother for dinner this evening" she said. Helaena smiled brightly "Do not bother with those formalities with me dear Maryanne... I am very pleased to finally have another lady with us here.." She said swaying her arms to Maryanne and hooking hers with Maryanne's.

The doors were opened and the girls strolled. Queen Alicent was already seated. The girls unlatched from each other and curtsied for the queen. Alicent nodded and smiled "I see you two get along well? That is good to see" she said with a slight smile.

As dinner got served Alicent had her eyes on Maryanne he whole time. "So.. Maryanne... dear... how do you find life in the keep?" she asked. Maryanne looked up and softly smiled "It is very.. different than at home my queen...." She answered. "Oh yes I understand... at home with your family your duties were.. different too hmm" Alicent spoke biting into a piece of meat when she finished the sentence.

Maryanne looked down as sadness washed over her. She missed her family very much, she tried not to think about it much but with what Alicent said it made the pit in her stomach feel very present again. Helaena noticed and sat up "Maryanne you must have something you like to do? Any special interest?" She tried. Alicent didn't even look up.

Maryanne cleared her throat and looked at Helaena "I am very fond of sketching and painting... I did it a lot when I.. when I was still home... But I only took my sketchbook with me to here.. my paintings and all I left behind... for my siblings.." Helaena perked up even more "You do have to show me your talents one of these days Maryanne..!" she smiled genuinely, when her husband, Prince Aegon was not at the castle she seemed less.. Dull? Less keeping to herself.

Alicent had finished her plate and stood up, Helaena and Maryanne doing the same and curtsying when she walked out. Helaena walked up to Maryanne and grabbed her arm "Come.. follow me" she said dragging Maryanne along.

"I know mother can be.. a little difficult sometimes" Helaena said as they strolled the castle's dimly lit halls. Maryanne looked down "But she means well.... You must believe me...." Helaena said looking at Maryanne while stopping them.

Maryanne sighed, she pitied the girl being married to your own brother? That sounds very unnerving. "And Aemond.. he is a good man... he has no sickly desires if you must now... only the desire to do his duty to his house.." She continued. "Life isn't half that bad if you just do what he wants... most of the time Aegon leaves me be and I am good to go my own way" She said smiling. Maryanne nodded and looked down at the ground. "I enjoy your company greatly Princess... But I must retire to my own chambers now.. I feel very tired" she said as she softly pulled her arm out of Helaena's. In return she nodded "But you must show me some of your sketches!" Maryanne nodded and turned around navigating back to her own quarters.