When days turn into nights

Helaena shook her head

"She is alive... not well.. but alive"

Alicent held her hand in front of her mouth and they looked at Aemond trying to shush the crying babe. Helaena excused herself and left the room to change. Alicent walked up to Aemond and caressed his cheek swiping the tear away with her thumb.

Aemond looked at his mother "I need to see her..." he said and Alicent nodding taking the babe from him. He sprung up and ran hastily down the halls of the again silent castle. Now it was different. The silence was almost deafening as it rung through his ears. His heartbeat growing louder and louder until he reached the doors. The Kings guard that was standing guard looked at him with a sad smile.

A maid left the room with her hands full with what were the bed sheets. They used to be a beautiful cream with an intricate pattern. Now soaked crimson red with his wife's blood he gagged. As he entered the room he straightened his back and a stony look back on his face as he stepped closer to the bed his wife was in.

She looked ethereal laying very still in the bed, she was cleaned up but her skin was as white as a sheet and her lips drained from any color they had. Her hair looked lifeless and her eyes slumped closed. He kneeled down and let out a sigh of relief when he saw her chest rise and fall. It was weak but it was there. He laid his hand in hers. It was so cold and rigid he flinched a little.

The maester approached him "My prince... your lady wife delivered a very healthy son as you have seen.... She unfortunately bled more than normal and sustained very bad blood loss....we managed to stop the bleeding though the coming days we have to keep a close eye on any sign of infection.." He said looking down to the floor. "She is cold... too cold.... Bring something to warm her maester..." Aemond said on a soft tone. "My prince I-" he stuttered. Aemond shot him a look "She is not supposed to be cold! GET HER SOMETHING TO WARM HER" Aemond yelled. He slumped back down next to the bed and laying his head on the bed before letting the tears fall freely but silently.

In the days following Alicent had taken it upon her to take the nameless babe while Aemond sat with an unconscious Maryanne holding her hand hours on end. He only let Helaena sit with her when he was dragged away by his mother to eat and drink. She had struck an expected fever, the maesters had been telling Aemond it was good that she had a fever it mean her body was fighting against any impending infection.

A cold cloth in hands he dapped her forehead ridding it from the sweat she expressed. He hadn't said a word in the days, scared to wake the sleeping Maryanne. Even though he knew he wouldn't wake her up. She was deep in a fevered sleep.

Alicent was swaying the babe back and forth to get him to sleep as Aemond walked into the chambers. A plate of food was set up for him and a goblet of wine sitting next to it. He reluctantly ate it without saying a word.

Alicent sat down next to him and looking at him before holding out his son in front of him "You haven't held him in days... please" she pleaded. Aemond looked down and at his son. "He misses his mother too..... and now his father" she tried. Aemond gave the babe a kiss on his head before disappearing into the halls again to sit next to Maryanne as she fought her sickness.

Aemond had fallen asleep next to Maryanne while seated on a chair slumped down with his hand holding hers. "My babe.... My son" a dry voice softly spoke. Aemond grunted before he was awoken and looked at Maryanne, her mouth moved but nothing came out. Aemond grabbed a wet cloth to dampen her dry cracked lips. She whimpered as he did but she repeated the words "Where is my son" she whispered again.

Aemond had his mouth wide open "He is beautiful Maryanne... " He spoke. Maryanne turned her head towards him as she clasped his hand "Aemond... my son" she spoke. Aemond winched at her speaking his name. He hurried to the guard to fetch his mother and the babe. "ssshh dear... He is being brought up" He said petting her hair.

He heard the door open and Helaena walked in with the baby in her arms. "Mother was occupied brother... " she smiled as she walked closer and handed Aemond the babe. He softly bend closer to Maryanne and laid the babe on her chest. He took her hand and laid it on his back. He looked to calm as he finally felt his mother after days of being apart.

"Here he is... here is your son... he is healthy.... Loved dearly by us... Mother... Helaena... me... all the maids fuss over him... he is so beautiful Maryanne.... " A withered smile appeared on Maryanne's face and a tear escaped her eye. "My son" she breathed out.

Holding her son seemed to calm the both of them and so Aemond didn't doubt to let him lay with his mother as much as they could. Only removing him for his feeds but right after handing him back.

The nights were the worst as then their son was sleeping elsewhere and the fever was at its highest. She was delirious beyond words sometimes screaming and thrashing around. Aemond held her down as much as he could so that she wouldn't hurt herself.

He stripped her from her drenching night shift and lathered her in cold water to calm the fever that taken her. Helaena some nights when she couldn't fathom her own sleep sat with him and helped him through the night.

The whole castle knew of the situation and it was feasible throughout the whole keep. The sadness radiating from the walls poring onto the inhabitants. Everyone pretty much kept to themselves. Alicent was with the king in his chambers or in her own. Aegon was most of the day out whoring or drinking. Otto, the hand of the king was mostly found behind a table plotting next steps to plans for the realm.

Days passed with no news coming from the chambers where Maryanne laid. Alicent was holding the babe walking around the castle. She sighed, she hated how silent the castle had become. Suddenly she was ripped out of her thoughts as she heard Aegon's slurred voice. A guard was helping him walk to his chambers probably.

Aegon stopped as he saw Alicent with the young babe on her arm "AH mother!!" he ripped himself loose from the guard and stumbled towards her. Alicent could smell he wine and ale coming of him. She pursed her lips in a thin line "Aegon have you NO shame!" she spat at him. He didn't look but stumbled against the wall. "Imbecile" she muttered under her breath before gesturing to the guard to take him away.

She rounded the corner and went up to Helaena and the twins. Helaena didn't even look up when Alicent sat down next to her. She whispered something "Fire will consume a princeling when the time is right" Alicent sighed, Helaena had sometimes weird things she said, like she was daydreaming. Alicent shook her head and babbled to the twins who in return gave a wobbly smile back.