Chapter 8: Help

The officer ponders in front of his board with information about his target.

"Then help me", said his target.

"Then help me", echoes the officer. The moment his culprit asked him, he didn't know how to answer. The only thing he could do was to put an end to the conversation. He literally walked away from it, but his target ordered him to stop. As if it was a magical spell, he stopped without turning around. The sly bird walked up to him and put a note in his pocket before passing him. The note is still in his pocket. He didn't dare to read it. A small part of him wants to help him, but he knows he shouldn't do it. It is not the right way. He doesn't know another way, but it is definitely not this. What if he reads the note and he will be persuaded? He needs to put an end to this. Fast. If he stops him now, the punishment will be less. It's time to set up his game. Sabotaging the culprit to the max is the way.

He prepares to go to sleep and his soul wakes up shortly after he fell asleep. Slower than normally he walks to the apartment, pondering about how he can make his target stop. Panting and fast footsteps pull him out of his thoughts. He is directly tensed as there is a possibility that she will see him. He stands still. She looks directly at him. Didn't have a similar situation before? She stops right in front of him and puts her hands on her knees.

"Oh goodness, it's that foreigner again. Does she see me now?" he asks himself.

"Why can't it just stop?!" she screams high-pitched in between her panting.

"She must be having a hard time."

"Those ******* don't do anything than laugh. What did I even think?" She wipes her face.

"Is she wiping her sweat or tears?" Suddenly she stands up straight again. He looks straight into her eyes. Her watery eyes are hanging. He gets an uncomfortable knot in his stomach. "Why do I feel so uncomfortable? Did I eat something wrong?" She follows her way walking instead of running. "It should be alright. Otherwise, she shouldn't have dated that man in the first place or should have broken up better." He starts walking again and hears that she starts running again. Faster than before. He hears a scream, turns around, and sees her lying on the ground. "What is she doing? Did she just fall over her legs?" She gets back on her feet slowly. He hears her sniffing.

"I hate my life so much right now." She looks at her arms and knees. They probably have some scrapes on them. The officer's soul looks at her blankly.

"Maybe, it's more serious than we thought", he whispers. He knows he should do something because it is partly because of him that she isn't taken seriously. Not that he literally laughed in her face, but he has the same thoughts as his colleagues. It must be because of herself. Because she dated the wrong man. Because she was attracted to the wrong one. Or it's because she didn't break up cleanly. Probably she is just arrogant, which caused her this situation. Everything was in the end because of her and never because of the man. In addition, they did not think seriously about the situation. Those pictures don't really matter, do they? There are enough other women pictured that way. They clearly misunderstood the situation.

He turns around and follows her. He should have done this earlier to understand her situation, but he was too focused on his main target. But this one night, he will spend time with her. Just to have her safe.

"What if... What if I ask Bird? Then the case will be solved so fast. It's not legal, but... can't I motivate it as saving someone's life? Needs must." The hurt woman walks slowly while blowing on her wounds. The officer is glad that she gets home safely. "Well, hopefully, she is safe now. Let's look for Bird." He walks back while anxiously looking at places that show the time. "I just have a few hours left. I got to hurry. Carefully to not higher his heart rate too much, he walks a bit faster. He lies down on his body after he arrives home and he awakes. In a hurry, he changes clothes and goes to Bird's house. He knocks on the door although he can go inside with the key Bird hid under the doormat. Probably that's the only reason why he has a doormat. Bird opens the door with narrowed eyes. The officer smiles.

"I need some help." Bird frows and looks at him as if he sees water burn.

"Come inside?" he says quite doubting.

"Thanks. The thing is..." Bird interrupts him.

"What do I get in return?"

"What do you mean?"

"Just exactly what I said. Why should I help you? What do I get in return?"

"What do you want?"

"Your help."

"You know I can't do that."

"No?" Bird asks sleazy.

"How can I help you?"

"Just give me one more week." Tong sighs.

"One week more. I will help you that we won't catch you within a week at least."

"Great. So, what can I do?" The do-gooder explains the situation of the foreigner. Bird shrugs his shoulders. "No biggie. Consider it as done."

"What is your plan?" Bird grins.

"I can do what I want, right?"

"Not exactly."

"Too late. You gave me a new target."

"Bird, you know I didn't mean it like that."

"But you know how I am. Go home or people will see you."

"Don't go overboard. The man shouldn't die." He shrugs his shoulders indifferently.

"I won't kill him."

"You know what I mean."

"Sure. Good night, Tong. You know the way out." Bird watches him leave. "Let's get to work. This is gonna be fun." After a small hour of searching and hacking, he realizes his goal. "This should do."

He goes to sleep to wake up again two hours later. He stretches himself and looks at his computer. It's his weapon. He plans to visit Tong before going to his work to tell him the good news. After he freshens up, he steps outside and finds a note on the ground.

"Why doesn't he just give it directly?" He picks it up, reads it, and chuckles. "Of course I got him to help me. That man should have been discarded long ago. Good that I waited until Tong came to me. I didn't expect it in this way, though." He takes his pen out of his bag, scribbles on the note, and starts his travel.

Before he enters the police office he puts on his mask. Perhaps it helps that the annoying officer will not recognize him. He walks straight up to Tong's desk. Probably because of his confidence he is not held back. Tong works diligently behind his computer. His fingers go over the keyboard so fast that they are almost invisible. Bird walks to him and puts his hand on his desk.

"I kept my promise. Now it's your turn." Bird's eyes look focused through his glasses at Tong. His glasses are a bit foggy and with every breath, it becomes worse. It's the downside of wearing a mask and glasses at the same time. Nevertheless, with a bit more squinty eyes, he can see Tong startled face.

"What are you doing here?"

"Threatening you."

"Don't you know what you have done? That foreigner is arrested for killing that man", he hisses.

"I didn't know about that", Bird answers calmly. He did not expect the man to commit suicide this fast. He just threatened him a bit.

"Watch out until I find more. You really need to be careful."

"Like I said. I don't know anything about it. You said I should not let that man die. I didn't do anything to cause that."

"Sure."

"You don't believe me?"

"Why should I believe you?"

"Good question. Don't believe me then. You'll see it later." He takes his hand back and leaves the note behind. "But I kept my promise. So, you should keep yours. One week." Tong looks him straight in the eyes and doesn't reply. "Good. Have a nice day."