Chapter 10: The last shot

It's only been a few days since he found out the place the culprit moved. Although he is not sure. He checked the tracker he put on his target's computer, but just as he expected, it was removed. The past few nights he had another target to follow. Actually, that is just an excuse. The officer didn't dare to go to his long-term target. He is not sure what the message of the heart shape means and he does not want to be influenced by personal feelings. The week is almost up and it's time to catch him. Unfortunately, they do not have time to do the work they should do. Due to the fleeing bird, society rambles. It's not just a bit of rambling, it shakes. Like an earthquake hit the city. The higher-ups are expecting the biggest protest of times. The officer has to admit, that it is partly because of him. If he stopped him earlier... If he caught him earlier... If he did not agree with him just in the slightest bit. He sighs and looks at the presentation in front of him. It is about security and how to act with protestors. The army asked for help from every police department, including them, in case of protests they need to shut them down. They now have to learn how to put an end to a protest and what to do if they don't listen. How water beams are used and how to hit them if they still don't listen. Although he needs to pay attention, he simply is not willing to hurt protestors. They should have a way to show their ideas, right? He also knows that it doesn't work to send a motion to the government. He lives long enough in this country - as in his whole life - to know that the government doesn't listen. Sure enough, they won't even listen even if they threaten to kill someone. The government just wants to protect what was and not what there is. We need to be in a certain way to be worthy to be our nationality. Protests are just not part of that identity. But still, it is better to try than do nothing.

"Can't we just shoot them?" his colleague whispers. He doesn't need to look at who is sitting next to him. There is only one who would say this. The officer acts like he didn't hear anything. But then his colleague taps him a few times on his arm. "Hey, don't you agree? They just cause tumult. We don't need them." The officer just nods to get rid of him. "I knew you would agree with me." It was now that the officer realized that he was just like everyone else. To have an easy life he just agrees with the stronger, privileged people without showing his own thoughts. He is also someone who would like to have everyone thinking the same, being the same, and doing the same. Let's just have an easy life where we don't need to take other ideas into account.

"See you next week if we are still alive", the presenter says with a laugh.

"As if they can kill us. It would be the immediate end of them if they only tried to do it", talks the person next to him. His colleague pokes him with his elbow. "Why are you so quiet?"

"I just have nothing to say."

"You must be agreeing with me, aren't you?"

"Not really", the officer mumbles.

"What did you say?"

"Nothing. Let's get to work again." He stands up and walks back to his office. Instead of taking the elevator, he takes the stairs. It's quiet there. No people. No opinions. What if they become violent? Then he should take action, just like he learnt today. Tomorrow will be a practical workshop. Then they are actually going to learn how to defend themselves and how to hurt them in such a way, that they won't die, but enough that they shouldn't dare to get up. He should have stopped his target earlier. Just 2 days more and he can hand in the evidence he gathered. They will arrest him and hopefully this will help to put down the protests.

"No one opens the door. You are sure that he lives here?" a colleague asks. The days are counted and they are ready to arrest the fleeing bird. The officer's colleague knocked on the door, but no reaction.