Chapter 9: Should end it

"It should be calm the coming nights, right? Tong shouldn't come. He promised to put it off for a week." The lights turn off just as he is done mumbling. "You kidding me? Tong?" It stays quiet. "Is there a power shortage? That's not possible. My computer still works." He stands up and tries to turn on the light, but without success. He walks to the lamp and sees that the lightbulb is taken out. "Are you kidding me? You literally stole the bulb? You promised not to bother me for a week." He looks around and his eyes fall on his computer screen. "I had something opened. Why is it gone now?" Bird walks over to his computer and tries to find the file he had opened. "Are you serious, Tong? You erased my files? You wouldn't bother me! You said you would give me ONE freaking week. JUST ONE WEEK! WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS?!" Bird breaths fast and he tries to reclaim his files by clicking on anything as a madman. Tong is specialized in cybercrime. Of course, he knows how to permanently delete files. And of course, he knows how Bird saved his files.

"You dare do this to me?!" Bird shouts. He feels his heart beating. The veins in his neck pulse. Just when it's about to become black before his eyes because of anger, he sees him, Tong. Tong looks at him. Not looking down on him or slyly, but more sorrowful. Bird looks him in the eyes. "Why?" Tong doesn't move an inch. "WHY DID YOU DO THIS TO ME?" Bird would like to shake him so hard that he will regret erasing the files. Or beat him right in shape again. But he can't. He can't even touch him. Bird doesn't let Tong's eyes out of his sight. "ANSWER ME, TONG!" Then Tong finally moves. He lifts his arms, puts his hands together, and makes a slight bow with his head. "DON'T WAI ME, TONG. You wouldn't have done this if you would regret it instantly." The officer walks away and hears his target shouting.

"You are gonna leave like that? Really? COWARD!" Without looking back, he walks through the door. Right before he takes the first step of the stairs, the culprit opens the door. "You're going to regret this, Tong. I'm not done yet!" The officer hears and knows that the culprit speaks the truth. He is not done. Even if he erased all files, he will be able to find them again. The culprit is smart. It's just a little bit of work to find the files again. The officer has to look for him every night and pull the same trick. Maybe that will help to stop his target. He walks back home and lies on his body. When the alarm rings, he wakes up tired.

"It's like I worked all night, but it was just my soul." He rubs his eyes and stretches his body. Tonight he has to go to him again. At work, he needs to see what his culprit's involvement is in the foreigner's ex's death. He scrolls through his Instagram without paying much attention until he sees a picture his target published. He taps on it. In the caption, criticism is written and a call for protest. "Is this from...?" He goes to the profile page and sees more protest pictures. When he goes to some profiles of the people who reacted to the pictures, he finds more profiles that criticize society.

"My target's work is found and shared. Can it be even stopped now?" The officer scrolls through and looks into more profiles, and lands in a rabbit hole. Only when he looks at the time, he crawls out of it with speed to go in time to his work. On his way, he's thinking about what could be the consequences of this all. Is there going to be a protest? What will happen to the person in question? What work will he get because of this? This time it feels like the travel time was shorter. He had to go out of his head first to realize that he had to depart the bus and get to his work. Even if his culprit would have waited for him, he wouldn't have seen him because his thoughts make his vision blurry. During his work, he worries more about what is going to happen than about actually doing his work.

Nevertheless, he hears that the foreigner is set free as there is not enough evidence to hold her. They have now their arrows set on another ex of his, who he was apparently also threatening. She only didn't report to the police and took justice into her own hands. It's almost 100% sure she is the one who killed him. The officer didn't find evidence that his target is involved. He misjudged him. Or his target didn't leave a trace, but whatever the officer did, he could not find anything on the suspect. The officer felt relief. Although unasked for and he doesn't even want to acknowledge that feeling. It shouldn't be that he feels relief that his suspect was not involved this time. At least, there is no evidence, which makes him also uneasy. What if the sly fox was involved, but he failed to find the proof? That would make him an incompetent police officer, no?

The day flies and he is free to go home again. Now he gained another worry. He is certain that he gained grey hairs from thinking and worrying this much. At his young age, gaining grey hair would be awful. What if he meets the love of his life, and she only knows him with grey hair? Would that be in his favour or not? What if she thinks it looks like he will die soon, so she can leech off of him? He immediately catches himself overthinking too much. His thoughts make a random jump. Should he apologize to his target? But for what? He just did his work. He also kept his promise. They didn't catch him yet. He sabotaged him, but he is always doing that. Not to this extent, but still. After minutes of contemplating, he stands in front of the door where he usually walks through. He sighs.

"Here I am even when I'm still not sure why I should apologize." He knocks on the door, but no one opens the door. He sighs again and lowers his head. "What did I expect? That he would open the door immediately and say: 'What a coincidence. Come inside!'?" His attention goes to a little piece of paper on the ground. "The note?" He picks it up.

"I keep my promise", he reads out loud. "Yeah, I also keep my promise." He turns the paper around and his eyes grow bigger. "Now I got a problem." Despite the heat and his rambling stomach, he runs back home. He stands in front of his board with the information.

"Alright. He lived here and now I have to find where he moved to." He stares at the map, but nothing appears as a legit possibility. "He already formed a cross with me in the middle. Maybe he made another figure. He also always moved one time in the opposite direction. Then it was kind of random. He didn't move yet in the opposite direction. So, or he moved here... or there..." He draws smaller circles as possible new addresses. "This couldn't be, that's no shape", he concludes after he tried to make shapes with the lowest, right circle. He erases the dot and tries to make a shape with the left, upper circle included. "If I connect all the dots like this..." He draws the shape and stops before reaching a possible new address of his target. "Oh, my soft-looking sheep..."

A wai is a Thai way of showing respect. It can be done with greetings, receiving blessings, as a sign of thankfulness, but also to show remorse.