chapter one

a/n: hi all!!! the photo above is what i imagine princess naia looking like

i just wanted to say thank you and i hope you enjoy the story :) please vote and comment! i love to read them <3

-E.S.

PRINCESS NAIA OF THE NORTHERN WATER TRIBE did not know much about the war going on outside of the icy walls of her kingdom. In fact, she was sheltered for her entire fifteen, almost sixteen years of existence. Tucked away in a bedroom in the palace, only able to overlook the city while sitting on the window sill. In fact, she's never left the Northern Water Tribe. She often felt like a bird in a cage, captive for so long that it forgot how to take flight. But for now, all she had to worry about in her life was her birthday.

"Is something on your mind?"

Naia looked to the soft voice of her twin sister, Yue. Her eyes were full of concern for the younger twin. Yue always loved to hold that over Naia, as she was approximately a minute and a half older than her. However, Naia couldn't argue with her. Yue was more gracious and mature than Naia was. Her parents often viewed Yue as the perfect daughter.

Although they were twins, Yue and Naia couldn't look any more different. Yue's hair was the color of fresh snow. She looked more like their mother, with soft eyes and a round face. Naia, on the other hand, had dark chocolate colored brown hair and took after their Father. The only trait they shared was their blue eyes. The two were starkly different, both in looks and personality, but they balanced each other out.

Naia nodded her head and looked away from her sister. She dryly laughed. "Everything. Everything is on my mind."

The twins walked with their arms interlocked, across their favorite bridge. They stopped in the middle of it, leaning over the edge and looking out towards the rest of the city. Naia couldn't deny that the Northern Water Tribe was beautiful, with the ocean view on all sides and the architecture. However, she did not have much to compare it to. It was all she's ever known.

"It's not possible to have everything on your mind," Yue pointed out. "Naia, you can tell me anything."

"I know," Naia said sheepishly. Yue and Naia hardly kept secrets from each other. They were practically attached at the hip since they could walk. Naia lightly sighed. "I feel like everything is changing so fast and there's nothing I can do to stop it."

Yue nodded sympathetically. "I understand how you feel."

Tomorrow was their sixteenth birthday. When the awoke that next morning, they would be considered women in their tribe. This was a big milestone in their culture, as they would soon find out who they were going to marry. Unlike Yue, Naia was beside herself. Yue usually did not question the customs and traditions of the water tribe, which made her a better fit to be the succeeding ruler. Naia, on the other hand, was rough around the edges and shared her opinion much more freely than her parents preferred.