chapter three

Early the next morning, Naia decided she would go "on a walk" and conveniently stop where the avatar was going to practice his water bending. Mostly because she wanted to copy some of the beginner moves, but she also wanted to see the avatar use two different types of bending. Air bending fascinated her exceedingly, as she's never seen a real live air bender.

Naia loomed in the shadows, slightly behind the large ice staircase that lead to the upper part of the city. She prayed that no one would catch her and escort her back to the palace.

"Good morning Master Pakku!" Aang said cheerfully. Naia smiled. Aang seemed to have a lot of positivity. It was quite refreshing to see.

Master Pakku dramatically dropped the ball of water he was bending. "Just barge right in. It's not like I'm concentrating or anything," He sneered quietly.

"This is my friend, Katara, the one I was telling you about," Aang said, gesturing towards the girl even though Master Pakku was turned around. Naia's stomach dropped. She didn't know that Katara was a water bender, and could already see her being so disappointed when Master Pakku refused to teach her.

Master Pakku had the slightest smirk on his face. "I'm afraid there's been a mistake," He said, turning around. He made himself stool out of ice and sat down with his legs crossed. "You didn't tell me your friend was a girl. In our tribe, it is forbidden for women to learn water bending."

Naia winced at his words. There couldn't have been a better way to encapsulate her tribes dated, sexist, and stupid customs. Katara's jaw practically dropped to the floor. Her chest heaved in anger.

She stalked towards him. "I did not travel across the entire world so that you could tell me no!" She hollered.

Master Pakku's face remained unchanged. "No."

"There must be other female water benders in your tribe!" Katara reasoned.

"Here, the women learn from Yagoda to use their water bending to heal. I'm sure she would be more than happy to take you as her student, despite your horrible attitude," Master Pakku said. He always managed to be so condescending.

Katara's face twisted up. "I don't want to heal. I want to fight!" She threw her arms up.

"I can see that, but our tribe has rules and customs," Master Pakku said.

"Well, your rules stink!" Katara shouted. Naia smiled at her statement. She admired Katara's courage. Naia took that as a sign to step up herself. She was a princess after all, there must have been something she could do.

"Yeah! It's unfair! If you won't teach Katara then I—" Aang started.

Master Pakku smirked. "Or you'll what? Not learn from me. Good luck—"

Naia emerged from her hiding spot. "What's going on here?" She interrupted, faking an innocent tone of voice. Master Pakku turned over his shoulder and saw the princess striding towards him. He quickly used his bending to melt his ice stool to the ground and stood up straight.

"Princess Naia," He said nervously. "How much did you...overhear?"

Naia smiled coyly and crossed her arms firmly over her chest. "All of it."

"Well, you must know that it is forbidden for women to learn water bending," Master Pakku started.

"I understand that," She shot back. "A meeting will be arranged with my father."

"A meeting?" He asked, his upper lip quivering from anger. He knew he couldn't disrespect the princess, as much as he wanted to.

"A meeting," Naia repeated with a small nod. She looked towards Aang and Katara, who both had shocked looks on their faces. "Until then, Katara can learn how to heal for today and you can teach Aang how to water bend. Come with me, Katara, I will show you where to go."