chapter seven

Naia felt her whole life start to crumble to the ground. Her twin, her other half, her best friend was gone in what seemed like a minute. Her soul would no longer exist in the physical world.

Naia thought she heard people talking to her, but their voices were completely muffled. All she could do is stare into the spirit pond and watch the two koi fish now start to circle each other again. She felt a hand on her shoulder, but didn't know whose it was. Naia wanted to scream and cry, but she couldn't move. She couldn't feel anything.

"No," Naia murmured in disbelief, slowly shaking her head. She squeezed her eyes shut, as if doing so would wake her up from this nightmare. The more she spoke, the quicker her anger took over. "No, no, no, no."

Naia felt the anger start to consume her. She was enraged at the Fire Nation, for invading her home, destroying their city, and slaying the moon spirit. If Zhao hadn't been so relentless, so petty, so eager to be the best conqueror, Yue would not have had to give up her life. She blamed Yue's death entirely on him. Naia couldn't even cry tears of sadness, for all that she felt in that moment was fury.

Something otherworldly spoke to her. It's time to fight it said. Before she knew it, Naia stood up and stepped into the spirit pond. A big swell of water rose up around her, with Naia standing on top of it. It was as if the ocean spirit felt her pain as well and was helping her. Naia has never learned how to properly bend, but whatever she was doing felt innate. It was like her muscles remembered exactly what to do yet her brain couldn't recall learning it. Thrusting her arms back, Naia propelled herself to move past the spirit oasis and into the canals of the city. Her eyes searched back and forth for one person in particular.

A dozen Fire Nation soldiers were retreating. She gritted her teeth and raised her hand, sending a large wave of water, knocking them all into the canal. A few of them started to blast fire at her but she took them out with another large wave. At that moment, she didn't care about what was right and wrong. She only cared about avenging her sister.

It was then she spotted Zhao. He was in a fight with Zuko, the two of them sending blasts of fire back and forth. Once Zuko saw Naia approaching on a large wave of water, he quickly stopped with fear in his eyes. Zhao didn't even have the chance to say anything before Naia leaped onto the bridge. She thrust her arm both forward and backward, producing a wave and knocking both Zuko and Zhao flat onto their backs. As Zuko was coughing up water, Zhao quickly stood back up.

"You deserve to die, just as my sister did," Naia said darkly. The look in her eye was almost unrecognizable.

Zhao raised his hand to blast fire again, but Naia beat him to it. She used two of her hands to knock him down once again, making sure the water continuously covered his face and made it hard for him to breathe. Just as she stopped to let him take a labored breath in, glowing blue water flowed under the bridge they were standing on. To her surprise, glowing blue water swelled up and onto the bridge. A hand like figure wrapped itself around Zhao. It was the ocean spirit. Naia watched in awe as the hand began to slowly drag him into the canal.

By this time, Zuko had stood up and reached out his hand for Zhao to take. Zhao first held out his hand, but he quickly pulled it away. The hand plunged underneath the water with Zhao still in its grip. But unlike the other Fire Nation soldiers who were also thrown into the canal, the large hand like figure held him face down in the water until he stopped moving. Naia took ragged breaths as she watched the entire thing, wishing that somehow, she was the one to avenge her sisters death.

She turned to Zuko, who looked white with fear. "I'm not finished with you yet," She growled. Naia grunted and sent a large wave of water his way, which pushed him all the way up to the top of a wall. Then, she thrust her arms back and let go of the water, letting him fall about twenty feet. He hit the ground and was unresponsive.