chapter thirty one

After a couple hours of tossing and turning, Naia sat up straight and sighed. It was another one of those nights that she simply couldn't lull herself to sleep. She decided to take a small walk around the air temple to clear her head. Although, it didn't do much.

Naia kept thinking back to earlier when she saw Zuko and Sokka talking. She asked Sokka what they were talking about, but he brushed her off in a nonchalant way. Naia was suspicious to say the least.

When she walked out of her room, she heard two voices whispering. She followed the sound and headed towards it. It was Zuko and Sokka. Sokka had climbed on top of Appa while talking to Zuko. "Look, I don't need your help. I'm going alone," She heard Sokka whisper to Zuko.

"And what do you think you're doing?" Naia asked, putting her hands on her hips.

Sokka screamed and almost fell backwards. He sighed and shook his head. "Nothing!" He tried to play it off. Naia gave him a stern look, and he instantly spilled. "Okay...so basically l'm going to go to a Fire Nation prison to rescue my Dad."

Naia nodded and pursed her lips. "Were you going to tell me this before or after you left?" Sokka looked away guiltily. Naia smirked at him. "I know everything, Sokka," She said in a sing song voice.

"Are you mad at me?" Sokka asked.

"No," Naia said, shaking her head. "But don't even think about lying to me ever again."

"I lied because I knew you would want to come with me," Sokka said.

"Well, you were right about that," Naia crossed her arms over her chest.

"You can't go," Sokka whined.

"Oh, I'm going," Naia said defiantly.

"Hate to interrupt, but we can't take your bison," Zuko said impatiently. "Last time I checked, prisons don't have bison daycare. We can just take my war balloon."

The whole time on the war balloon was a little...awkward. Zuko barely spoke, and Sokka and Naia were too afraid to say anything because Zuko would basically be listening to their entire conversation. So, Naia rested her head on Sokka's lap and dozed off. She awoke to the sounds of Zuko and Sokka talking, but didn't move.

"My uncle...he was more of a father to me. And I really let him down," She heard Zuko's voice say.

"I think your uncle would be proud of you. Leaving your home to come help us?" Sokka said. "That's hard."

"It wasn't really that hard," Zuko said.

"You didn't leave behind anyone you cared about?" Sokka asked.

"Well, I did have a girlfriend, Mai," Zuko answered.

"That gloomy girl who sighs a lot?" Sokka asked, suddenly sounding more intrigued.

She heard Zuko sigh. "Yeah. I knew everyone in the Fire Nation would label me as a traitor. I couldn't drag her into it."

"Well...my first girlfriend turned into the moon," Sokka said. Naia wanted to wince, but she knew she couldn't. Sokka and Yue weren't even "girlfriend" or "boyfriend", but it must have been Sokka's first relationship with a girl. She didn't like to think of Yue and Sokka being together, since it was the main point of why she tried her absolute hardest to not feel anything for him. It wasn't a topic she liked to think of, as it made her uncomfortable. Naia found herself apologizing to Yue's spirit when she looked at the moon, hoping that she didn't garner any resentment towards her.

"That's rough buddy," Zuko said, unsure of how to console him. "Wait...isn't that Naia's sister?"

"Twin sister," Sokka corrected him.