chapter twenty eight

Once Hama was arrested, the gang packed up their things quite fast and left on Appa that night. Katara did not speak, sitting against the very edge of Appa's saddle and looking down towards the ground. She didn't say a word since they got back from the woods. Naia left her alone for a few hours, but ultimately decided to go sit by her.

"Katara? Are you okay?" She asked gently.

Katara shook her head sadly. "What a sick, twisted way of water bending," She said, her voice weak. It was then that Naia noticed her cheeks were stained with tears. She finally looked up at Naia. "How did you know?"

Naia looked away guiltily. "I've known for some time," She answered honestly. "I found a small black book at the library, talking about a water tribe prisoner who escaped by controlling the bodies of others. I made the inference that they were able to do that because blood is made of mostly water. I didn't tell anybody because I knew it was some dark, dark shit."

"Have you ever done it before that?" Katara sniffled.

"Only once," Naia answered, looking into her eyes once again. "On Azula back in Ba Sing Se. You and Aang were knocked out, I had no other choice."

"I feel so disgusted with myself," Katara said, another tear falling from her eye.

Naia put her arm around her. "Don't. You did what you had to do to survive."

Katara rested her head against Naia's shoulder and eventually drifted off to sleep.

After a full day of flying on Appa, the gang finally landed in their final destination before the invasion by nightfall. Naia looked around. It was a deserted island, with only koala sheep grazing the green grass. "How did you pick this place?" She asked.

"Before we all split up, my Dad and I found this island on the map. It's the perfect location to stay unnoticed but still close to the Fire Nation," Sokka explained.

"Great! And we're here four days ahead of schedule," Katara smiled.

Aang looked like he just saw a ghost. "Four days?!" He exclaimed. "The invasion is in four days?!"

Sokka yawned loudly. "That's in...like...four days from now," He said, setting up his sleeping bag.

Aang looked definitely freaked out. Naia put a hand on his shoulder. "Worrying about it now is not going to help you perform any better. Why don't you try to get some sleep?"

"I guess," Aang said hesitantly, sitting down on his sleeping bag.

Although Naia laid down and tried to fall asleep, it didn't work. She ultimately stood up and walked towards the edge of the cliff, looking out towards the water. The moon painted a portion of the ocean a silver color. Naia decided she wanted to go for a swim again. She found her way down the cliff by using the leveled rocks to step on. Once she made it on the beach, she took her tank top off and only left on a pair of shorts and dove into the water. When she resurfaced, she floated on her back, feeling the push and pull of the tide.

One thing Naia loved about the Fire Nation was that the water was warm enough to swim in. In the North Pole, she couldn't swim for longer than a minute. But in the Fire Nation, she could swim for as long as she needed to.

"Toph was right, you are always swimming," She heard a voice say.

Naia touched her feet down on the sand bank again and saw that Sokka was standing on the beach. She smiled at him. "You should stop standing there and come in. It's really nice."

Sokka did just that, stripping his shirt off. When he started to fumble around with the buttons on his pants, Naia blushed. He tossed them over to the side and waded through the water towards her. "Nice night, isn't it?" She asked.