CHAPTER TWO

KINGSDALE, TENNESSEE

SEPTEMBER.

The bell rang, indicating that class would start soon and here I was trying to find my first period.

And failing miserably.

Not only was I starting school one month into the term but I'm about to be late for my first class. I groan and take my schedule out my jacket pocket and give it a once over again, Dual English was in class B5, okay, where the fuck is that?

I was close to giving up and going to sit in the bathroom until I quite literally bumped into someone and fell on the floor. "Shit watch where you're going," I looked up to meet the annoyed voice and found myself staring into cold hazel eyes, I stood up, the girl pushed past me in a fit of rage and vanished around the corner, she left a trail of vanilla perfume in her wake.

"I'm surprised she didn't punch you," another voice spoke up, I turned meeting a small girl with blue hair coming out the bathroom, "must be one of her good days, are you new?"

"Can you help?"

The five minute bell rang and classroom doors slammed shut, the girl took my schedule and I watched her eyes light up a bit. "Oh you have Mr. Collins too, sweet, this way." She walked down the hallway, I followed until we stopped a door, she knocked twice. A boy answered and we walked in, I followed her up to the desk and handed Mr. Collins my schedule, he took it and gave it once over, he told me to sit wherever, so I chose to sit next to the girl I just met as she had an empty next to her.

"Alrighty," Mr. Collins said as he stood up, "we have a new student joining us this year, please everyone give a warm welcome to Madelyn Gomez."

No one said anything.

My cheeks heated up in embarrassment, I hated being the center of attention.

The girl poked me with her pencil, I looked her. "I'm Shay by the way," she said tucking a strand of blue hair behind her ear, "if you need anything just tell me."

I nodded and tried to pay attention, Mr. Collins was going over a test review and then said, "Madelyn—"

"Maddy." I corrected.

"Maddy, you can get the notes from Liberty, when you're ready you can take the test at the end of the month, I still have to get your missed work printed up."

I nodded, knowing I was probably going to fucking busy for the next six months. My gaze travelled around the class, examining each head quickly before I glanced at Shay, she looked back at me and I turned my attention back to Mr. Collins as he droned about the test. Then my eyes met dark gray ones, I knitted my eyebrows together as the boy just kept staring, did I have something on my face? He immediately turned back around after a moment.

When class ended, "Liberty" walked up to me, she fixed her glasses and threw a purple folder on my desk. "Try to have them back before the test," she told me, then threw her braid behind her shoulder before following the masses out the door. "Bitch," I hissed tucking the folder between my binder and notebook. "Ignore her, she has this complex because she's on honor roll," Shay said, "so what's your locker number?"