CHAPTER SIX

"Um why do you hate living here?" Renée asked me as we entered Lava Java, I shoved my hands into the pockets of my jacket

    "Um why do you hate living here?" Renée asked me as we entered Lava Java, I shoved my hands into the pockets of my jacket. "Because it's lame," I stated going up to the counter, "hey Dakota, this is Renée."

"The one from California?" Dakota asked, I nodded. "Renée this is Dakota." I said, but Renée wasn't responding she just had this blank expression on her face like she was frozen. I waved my hand in front of her face, yet she just stood there still, turning around I ordered my drink, I wouldn't know until later that Renée was developing crush on Dakota.

Renée got out of her trance and ordered a pumpkin spice iced coffee with mocha swirl and a chicken wrap. We sat at the booth and begin to talk, "How's California?"

"It's fine, I joined the cheer team."

"Really?"

"Yeah, it's fun," she took her phone out and showed me a picture her and her teammates at a football game, "that's from homecoming."

"Oh, seems cool," I said a little ping of jealousy pulling at my heart. "Court and Katia are great," she told me, "anyways how are you what things have you done so far?"

"I made some friends..." I said sipping my drink and pulling out my phone to show her, "the blonde is Shay, the Asian girl is Suzi, the boy with the curly brown hair with his arm around Suzi is James and the dude behind us is the guy we met earlier—Dakota."

She smiled. "I'm proud of you for trying."

I sighed, "Still isn't the same."

The bell jingled indicating that someone was walking in, I looked up and thinned out my lips, Leo walked in with that Lizzy chick. "Excuse me," I told Renée and got up, I crossed my arms and approached Leo, "nice."

"What?" Leo looked at me in confusion.

"Nice to see you here, on a date?" I asked, Leo huffed and rolled his eyes. "Fuck off Maddy," he said. "No I will not, I mean come on dude Avery is fucking lost without you." I snapped. "Yeah well Avery initiated the break up not me, she told me to go fuck myself, she told me she hated me—so I moved on, and I don't know why you're defending her considering the shit she pulled." He hissed and pulled Lizzy off to go sit far from me, I looked back at Dakota who just sent me a i-told-you-so look.

I walked back to the table where Renée was getting off her instagram. "This shit is here amazing," she told me pointing at the coffee, "how much do I owe you?"

"Nothing, Dakota's family owns the place so I get all my coffees for free."

"And you still hate it here?"

"It's just not California, there's no beaches or celebrities walking around."

"Girl we met Ariana Grande once and you cried."

"And it was the best day of my life."

After that we left and we headed back to my house which was empty, not surprising my mom has been trying to take up extra shifts since Christmas is in a few days. We had finished decorating the house after Thanksgiving, it was honestly a Christmas wonderland, between the large Santa Clause sitting in the yard to the oversized Christmas balls hung up on the porch—I didn't know what I liked more.