Chapter 4: The Proposal*

I pulled into the company  building parking lot at 4 am. The sun was barely up, yet I needed to be there for my meeting. After setting my car in park and opening my door, I stepped out and walked to the front entrance where I was faced to face with my assistant, Ryan. "Morning," he said politely while giving me a once over, "You look rested enough. Are you ready for this? We have some things we need to discuss before you get started today."

I nodded, "Can I get coffee in me first?" I smiled. Ryan quickly nodded, "Of course, it's already on the desk. Do you need anything else?"

"Yes," We walked through the doors and straight to the elevator, "If you run into Marlene today, let her know that I won't be able to do the interviews she set me up with. I'll have my niece the rest of the day, and I don't want her around everything." I opened the meeting room door, seeing Ruthie seated with her back to me. Ryan agreed and sat down beside me while taking out his iPad for notes. I did the same.

"Y/N will be there," Ruthie turned to me, making a writing motion on the desk. I nodded, "At 7:00, tomorrow morning. I promise. Thank you, Justin." She hung up the phone, smiling widely. "I love when you get that look on your face," I stated leaning forward. "What deal did you make this time?"

"I got you an exclusive audition. It's local, but it's very secretive and no one other than the people in this room must know." Ruthie has grown to be very secretive over the years. There were times when I lost roles because they were released to the public. I needed this role anyway. After I finished filming for her mother's show, All-American Homecoming 2 years ago, I was ready to start acting again. I was growing tired of the fashion shows and comic cons. I wanted something bigger and more challenging. She had been trying to find something like that, but when everything is sequels and spinoffs, it's difficult.

"What studio is it?" Ryan questioned, writing relentlessly on his iPad. "A small studio out of town," Ruthie replied, putting away her phone and picking up some papers from her desk. A few moments later, she spoke again, "I'm sure no one has heard of them. Marvel, I think?"

My eyes almost popped out of my head. My hands clenched in my lap. "Marvel Studios?" Ryan's pen paused. He looked towards the two of us. "You're telling me: Marvel Studios is interested in me playing one of their characters."

Ruthie gave me her all-knowing smile before answering, "It's only an audition, Y/N, so I don't want to get your hopes up." I nodded and tried to calm down a little, but it's hard to contain my excitement when it's Marvel. I've always loved their movies and comics; my dad was a huge fan of them, so I was raised to love them too. If only he could look at me now. I shook my head as though trying to shake the thoughts from my mind. I didn't need to worry about him right now.

"Now, the audition is at 7:00 a.m. tomorrow, so I need you to go home immediately and start rehearsing."

I closed my eyes for a moment, wincing, "7:00 won't be the best time. I'll have Destiny because Matt and Sasha are going out of town." I confessed, sitting back in my seat. Ryan looked to Ruthie, who shook her head slowly. "Y/N, this is a once-in-a-lifetime thing. Marvel doesn't wait around for people. If you want this, you have to find someone to watch Destiny."

"What about Chris?" Ryan asked.

Hell naw!

|Chris|

"What do you mean 'hell naw', Y/N?" I asked as she tossed some of my clothes in a hamper to wash. She waved me away, "I told Sasha I'll watch her. Not you. I got it."

I shook my head with a smile, "Baby," She looked at me with a frown, "We're a team. You need to go to the audition. It's been your dream for the longest to work with Marvel."
Y/N sighed, "Can I trust you to watch her, Chris? I don't want to come back to my house fucked up."