Chapter 6: You Deserve Happiness

"Let me in or let me go."

His words rang in my head most of the night. I didn't sleep. I couldn't. My eyes remained open staring at the ceiling and the light from outside falling in through the window. I questioned all night if the next fight between us the last fight was. The one where I can't fix it with puppy dog eyes and kisses. The one where we can't go back to being that couple forever stuck in the honeymoon phase.

I sighed into my cup of coffee, feeling the familiar weight of tears starts to build up behind my eyelids. I push through because I was too grown up to be crying at the breakfast table. Instead, I stood up, put my dishes into the sink as quietly as possible, and got ready for work and lunch with Quinn. I had been putting him off for the last few days when I know I shouldn't be.

After slipping into my shoes to top off my outfit, I grabbed my laptop and binder in the bedroom.

Chris had his back to me, brushing his teeth in the bathroom

Chris had his back to me, brushing his teeth in the bathroom. His back was flexed as he was hunched over the counter, spitting into the sink and running water. I watched for a moment until his eyes flashed to mine in the mirror. Usually, he would look at me with a loving glance. Like all was well. Yet, today, I couldn't tell where his mind was. His eyes were blank as they just stared at me. Like I was a stranger in my own home.

I looked away and finish packing my things.

"Your phone was going off this morning." He mumbled as he walked to the closet and turned on its light. I looked at my phone on the desk and rolled my eyes. "It's probably Ruthie. I'll call her back later." I whispered back. The tension was so thick; I was suffocating.

"No," He replied, "Unless Ruthie changed her name to Dallas, I don't think it was her. Is this who has your attention these days? Dallas?"

Finally, he turned to me, standing under the dimly lit closet, eyes piercing mine. I felt like he was reading every bit of my thoughts, my every feeling. Judging me too hard for something I would never do. Then, something I surpassed for a while came back up.

Anger.

"Can you stop accusing me of cheating on you?" I snapped.

Chris walked to me steadily, reaching his hands outward to my face.