Chapter 7 - A Kindred Soul (pt2)

"And once Lord Ainz introduced Asta to me, as you can imagine I was sceptical at first, but he was the one who suggested the play, that we create a 'Hero'."

"That's more like the Asta I know," said Excella smiling to him.

"Lord Touch Me did speak of many others that were crafty outside of Nazarick," said Sebas.

"Indeed," continued Demiurge. "To discover our plans and create his own so quickly...Lord Asta has made himself into a hero. It was his idea to directly shield the king and people trying to flee the area and by doing so the king and the people have become indebted to him. If all goes according to plan, he will raise to the top of the kingdom. And with his secret allegiance to Nazarick there will be no need to rule with fear or worry about rebellion. Not only that but anyone that wishes to harm Nazarick when we come into the light will go to him."

There were a number of awed gasps around the room. Even Excella was looking at Asta with awe in her eyes though in reality Asta hadn't meant half of what Demiurge was saying. He had wanted to help Ainz and he had mentioned wanting to protect the people, but he had meant that he didn't want Demiurge to hurt them. He'd honesty been surprised when Demiurge had started attacking them and taunting him.

Asta caught Ainz's eye, the Overlord looking defeated somehow. Asta felt that Ainz knew what he was going through.

"That is all well and good," interjected Albedo, one of the guardians that had not seemed impressed. "But, Demiurge, do you mind telling me why you have accepted this human?!"

Demiurge's grin did not fade.

"Ah, yes, you did not see it, Albedo."

"See what?"

Demiurge turned to Asta. "Lord Asta, would you please reveal those wings you showed in our battle again. I believe that should be enough."

Asta glanced at Excella. It seemed he knew about her or that he had her power. It seemed that the NPCs were aware of the lore of Yggdrasil or at the very least they had heard their creators talk about it.

"Go ahead, Asta," said Ainz.

Asta nodded slowly.

"Wings of the Valkyrie!" He shouted activating his skill. Two large wings sprouted from his back.

The reactions were mixed. Demiurge seemed to be in glee while Albedo looked more horrified than anything else. Some of the others looked confused while Ainz's expression was impossible to discern from his unchanging face.

"I thought as much," said Ainz.

"Is that..." said Albedo. "Human! Explain yourself!"

"I..." started Asta but Excella put up her hand to stop him.

"Master, May I?"

"May you?"

"Master, our souls are linked. If you will it, I can take control and put these insolent pests in their places."

That's possible?

Asta didn't think that he was naive. Perhaps too trusting but his time playing in Yggdrasil had taught him to watch out for those that would try to trick him. He believed he was good at telling if people were lying or not and right now, he did not think that Excella had any ill intent.

So far, she had been completely genuine and if she did want to control his body then now would not be the time to do it.

Perhaps Asta was too trusting, but he could still remember what he had felt back when he had used the World Item to free her.

Slowly he nodded and was greeted by a tearful smile, as if Excella herself had been worried that he wouldn't trust her and was happy that he did.

She reached out for his hands, trying to clasp them though hers went right through. But as she looked into his eyes Asta felt as though he knew what she was trying to communicate to him.

Her form vanished and Asta felt much closer to her than before.

He took a step back.

When Asta next raised his head, his expression had changed. It had turned from a kind-hearted smile to something more like a disgusted frown. In a blink his pupils had changed to vertical slits that glowed shallowly in the dim light of the throne room.

Excella glared down on Albedo. "Is that how you talk to your queen?"

Each of the guardians sensed the change, Demiurge letting out an audible gasp and Ainz a silent one.

Albedo's lips quivered but she did not stand down.

"Excella," she sneered. "Weren't you supposed to be dead."

"Asta, what is the meaning of this?" Ainz asked calmly.

"Lord Asta is not here at the moment," said Excella, still locking eyes with Albedo. "He has allowed me to take over temporarily so I can teach this mongrel a lesson." She looked over the other guardians. "For those who may not know I am Excella Sigrun Asmodeus, Queen of all demons and valkyries. All demons should be aware of my presence though I am not surprised that such a lowly demon species such as the succubi do not know of me."

"Why you...!"

"Enough, Albedo!"

"Yes, Lord Ainz."

"Excella, am I to take it that you chose to speak up now to protect Asta's honour?"

"That is indeed true. Lord Asta saved me and as such he is my master."

"Lowly? And you serve a human..." Albedo started, veins bulging in her temple.

Ainz laughed.

"Lord Ainz?"

"Forgive me, Albedo. It's just the situation is similar to my...Excella will you let me speak to Asta again?"

Excella turned to Ainz and lowered her head. A moment later Asta felt in control again. He raised both his arms and blinked looking at Ainz.

"Asta, I presume."

Asta nodded.

Ainz turned his attention to the guardians. "There you have it. Does anyone still have any issues with Asta joining Nazarick?"

Everyone, Albedo begrudgingly, shook their heads.

Ainz stood slamming his staff into the ground. "A ceremony will be held to officially inaugurate Asta at a later date. For now, let us welcome the Forty-Second Supreme Being of the Great Tomb of Nazarick."