Chapter 8 - A Hero's Reward (pt1)

"Hero!"

"Good morning, Hero!"

Asta waved to the people as he walked down the street, a bit embarrassed at all the attention he was getting. If he had been roleplaying, he wouldn't have felt nervous at all but somehow, now that he had accepted this world as reality, he found it difficult to attain that mindset.

"Wave back some more, virgin," laughed Gagaran, nudging Asta in the back.

"Yes, Asta, you are Re-Eltize's hero. You need to show the people confidence," said Lakyus, grabbing his arm and waving it in the air.

Almost two weeks had passed since his fight with Demiurge and his fame had only grown with each passing day. The other adventurers had already been rewarded for their part to play in the battle, though with Princess Renner's help he had persuaded the king to delay his reward until repairs to the city were well underway.

This selfless act had only garnered him more support with the people and within the royal faction of the nobles.

They passed the gates leading to the castle, leaving the crowd behind. Lakyus lowered his arm but whether she realised it or not she didn't let go.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The night before Asta had awoken to the sounds of shouting. Due to his enhanced hearing, he was likely the only person that had heard it.

He got out of bed, quickly changing into his armour and moved out of his room and down the hallway to the sounds.

His heart sunk as he saw it was coming from Lakyus's room. Diving for the door he reached for the handle and stopped...

"My eye of the Valkyrie is burning. I will control you even if its costs my life!"

Eye of the Valkyrie?

"You damned sword! You will not have your way! My resolve will suppress you!"

Sword?

Asta knew all of Lakyus's equipment including the fact that she had a supposedly cursed sword, but he had already confirmed that it didn't affect the user whatsoever. So, to be sure he'd given her a ring that prevented such things from happening.

Asta shook his head and opened the door. It didn't matter what it was. If she was in danger...

Lakyus was standing in the middle of the room in her night gown, though she still wore all her rings. She raised her hand, covering her eye.

"With this ring I shall supress you! I..."

"Lakyus?"

"Eeekk!" Lakyus jumped, turning to Asta and placing her hands behind her back, her cheeks turning crimson.

"Are...are you ok?" Asta asked, looking around the room. She looked fine.

"A...Asta!" Lakyus's cheeks become even redder. "It isn't...I wasn't..."

Something clicked in Asta's mind.

"Lakyus," he said making her jump again. "Can I see your sword again?"

Lakyus nodded slowly and handed it over.

The moment Asta touched it he crouched down as though he was in pain and raised his hand over his face.

"Agh! I can feel it entering my mind! This power...Not even my Valkyrie strength can withstand it!"

"A..Asta?"

"I see." Asta shakily tried to stand but fell to his hands and knees, the sword in his hand trembling. He looked at Lakyus. "Only your will can hold back this sword, Lakyus! Here!"

Lakyus looked for a moment as if in shock before nodding and taking the sword back. The moment she did she raised her hand again.

"My eye is burning! But I will contain you with all my might!" She roared, holding out the sword before finally letting out a sigh. "I have manged to contain it, Asta. You have my thanks."

Asta stood and grinned. "That's good, except I was only pretending. There's no evil curse on that sword."

Asta didn't think it possible, but Lakyus's cheeks grew even redder.

"I...I...I..."

Asta didn't want to believe it, but it was the only explanation. Lakyus was a chunni.

"It's fine," said Asta understandingly. "I won't tell the others. I used to do the same thing after all." Well, he only did in game in Yggdrasil, but he was actually powerful with cursed gear and weapons. Did that count?

"You did?"

"Yeah, so you don't need to feel embarrassed. If you want, I can even be your partner."

"Partner?" Lakyus seemed to be still in so much shock that she was just repeating whatever Asta was saying.

"Yeah, like if you ever need help supressing your sword." Asta suddenly made a pose. "If the Great Lakyus is not enough then I, Astaroth Heavensfall shall be there to help!"

This time Asta's cheeks went red. He hadn't realised how embarrassing it would be until he'd actually said it, but he felt it was all worth it when he heard Lakyus's soft laughter.

"I get it. I get it," she said, still chuckling.

Lakyus smiled at Asta, wiping tears from her eyes. Just the sight made Asta's heart feel warm.

Then Lakyus turned, moving over to her desk, and began to write.

"What...are you doing?" asked Asta a full minute later when Lakyus hadn't said anything.

"Writing," she replied. "Thanks to you I got a good idea for a character."

"You're writing a book!" Maybe she wasn't a chunni after all. Maybe she was just acting out characters...

Lakyus's quill stopped. "Y...Yeah...I..."

"Can I read it?"

"If...If you must." She embarrassingly pointed to a pile of papers which Asta scooped up and began to read.

As the sun started to raise Asta found himself deep in conversation with Lakyus, who after a while had gotten over her embarrassment and was deep into explaining the plot in her book and the depth of the characters.

She looked so engaged. Asta wondered if any of the others even knew about her writing or even bothered to read what she had written.

Asta had thought Lakyis a player at first due to how beautiful she was. If this was to be his new home, he wanted her by his side.

His heart felt warm just by talking to her and scared at the thought of something bad happening to her. When she smiled, he smiled.

"It's morning," said Lakyus, suddenly realising that light was coming in through the window.

Asta felt his heart clench. He wanted to confess to her. But...

He clenched his hands. In this world he was Asta. He was a hero. He could do this.

Before he could talk himself out of it, he placed his hand on Lakyus's. She turned back to him, looking down at their hands and then looking at him. And perhaps because he had little experience or because he was nervous, he said simply, "I want you."