Chapter 13 - Demon Queen of the Valkyries (pt4)

Asta looked carefully as his friend replied. There was no hesitation as Ainz spoke. Not even a hint of a stutter in his voice.

"It is, Asta. Your death will ensure the future security of Nazarick."

Asta took a deep breath, readying himself, accepting what was in front of him.

"I see," he whispered to himself. "Goodbye, then."

When Asta looked back up it was with new eyes. He wouldn't hesitate anymore. He needed to live and he needed to fight the enemy that was Ainz Ooal Gown.

"Eight level 100's," he said, looking across the seven guardians and Ainz.

Can we win?

Excella's voice was still separate but almost like his own thoughts, almost one with him.

"I see a path to victory," he said. Though it would be tough. His own health was down to thirty percent and with so many opponents he would have no time to heal.

The staff of Ainz Ooal Gown. That is all we need to destroy to win. If you notice, Ainz has not moved during this entire battle and all the spells he has cast have been small. I suspect that while he keeps this barrier active, he cannot move nor cast any lengthy spells. So, we destroy the staff or force him to move.

With Excella with him he instinctively knew how to work this body like it had always been his own.

He didn't know what skill this was but he could only imagine that it was a hidden skill or an evolution of one. Before, his stats had been roughly at level 120 but he felt even stronger now.

His stats had increased too and though his health was still at thirty percent; its new max value was the kind you would find on a raid boss.

Asta spread out his wings. He wasn't about to let Ainz make the first move.

Many of the guardians gasped as Asta all but vanished before them. The sound of steel slamming together rang as Asta appeared again in front of Ainz, Albedo blocking Asta's attack with her axe and despite the power of his attack one of Albedo's defensive skills must have prevented her from being moved.

"Triple maximise...."

"Icy..."

"Reality..."

The guardians all began casting spells at Asta. He leapt away weaving about them faster than their spells could hit him.

"Thor's Hammer!" he shouted, a massive bolt of electricity forming in his hands.

He launched it at Ainz, Albedo leaping in the way as the bolt crashed through a defensive wall Ainz had erected.

"Auto-redirection," said Albedo, her axe slamming into the bolt.

Thor's Hammer counted as a projectile!

The bolt was sent back at him slamming into his armour and knocking him backwards. The guardians charged at him, Asta flying into the air, retreating into the sky.

"What's this?! Running away after you try and kill my beloved!" roared Albedo, not far behind.

With his knew wings Asta was faster but he couldn't escape with this barrier up. Instead, he tore upwards towards the clouds.

"There is nowhere to run, Asta!" he heard Ainz shout. "What will you do? Fly high enough that you will no longer be able to breath!"

"That was never the plan," said Asta, light sparkling from out of the clouds.

"Wait!" shouted Demiurge.

It was already too late. With a single swing Asta parted the clouds, a massive magic circle spread out in the sky.

Ainz gaped. "A super-tier magic?! How long has he been casting that up there for?!"

"Remote casting," said Asta. One of Excella's abilities allowed him to cast magic anywhere that he could see. Super-tier magics were more like skills but even long-range skills were included. The only condition was that he needed to get to within a few metres of it to activate the spell or skill. He lowered his hand towards the guardians and Ainz. "El Thor!"

The magic circle shined and then a moment later a massive beam of light erupted thundering down towards the guardians.

"So, this was your plan," said Ainz. At Asta's current power this attack would strip away most of their health! "But if you thought this was good enough then you're mistaken, Asta."

Asta watched as Albedo raced in front of the other guardians, spreading out her arms as if to shield them.

Asta couldn't see her activate any skill before the blast consumed her.

Then a moment later the light that was El Thor disappeared. Albedo soared out of it, a part of her armour shattering, searing her axe towards him.

Ainz laughed. "I bet you didn't know this, Asta, but Albedo's armour is special. It may not be the strongest armour around but it is made especially for this kind of attack. Three times it can absorb an attack at no damage to Albedo herself and when that happens that attack is cancelled."

"An Yggdrasil trick!" cried Asta as Albedo slammed into him, gnawing away at his health.

"Yes, a broken game mechanic if you will."

Asta pushed into Albedo's attack further damaging himself but despite this his shocked expression changed to a grin.

He wrapped his arms around Albedo.

"The path to victory is complete."