Epilogue

"How are you all feeling?"

Ainz looked down upon his guardians from atop his throne. Each of them had been healed since the battle, their limbs regrown, their injuries repaired and their health returned to max.

"Perfectly fine, Lord Ainz."

"Healthy."

"At your command as always, my Lord."

Ainz brought over the Orb of Remote Viewing, waving his hand over the surface. Fortunately, the inn door had been left open and over the top of the crowd he could see Asta lying in a pool of his own blood, unmoving.

The light of a resurrection spell flashed, momentarily brightening the screen.

"Nothing..." said Evil Eye, meekly.

"Damn it! Why won't the spell work?!" cried Lakyus, tears streaking down her cheeks. She placed her hands on Asta's body again. "Resurrection!"

Another light but no movement.

"Damn it!"

A man in a robe placed a hand on her shoulder. "Ms Lakyus. Please reserve your strength. If you over use your magic, it could have adverse effects on you."

"Dr..."

The man lowered himself, placing his fingers to Asta's neck. He moved his hands to cover Asta's and then placed his ear to Asta's heart.

He stood quietly and spoke. "I'm sorry."

"Who did this?" Lakyus burst into more tears. She looked between the Blue Roses but each of them just shook their heads.

"I know how strong Asta was," said Gagaran, looking down at Asta's wound. "But anything that can do this too him...is not something I ever want to see."

Wiping her tears, Lakyus stood, a stern expression filling her eyes. "I don't know what Asta was doing or where he went but I know that whatever it was it was for the people. Asta felt that he never deserved to be a hero but he never stopped when someone was in trouble."

Lakyus clutched her shaking hands keeping her voice as steady as she could.

"I will try to stay true to Asta's will and help those who are in need. And...no matter how long it takes...I will find whoever did this to him."

A mixture of cheers and cries came from the crowd as the doctor left the inn turning down the side street and opening a portal.

A moment later he appeared in the great hall, his clothes and hair melting away, a white blank face appearing in exchange, adorned in a military uniform.

"I am here!!!! Lord Ainz!!!" Pandora's Actor saluted.

"And?"

"I detected no life signs, my Lord. And the True Death spell you cast on him is preventing his resurrection. And also..." Pandora's Actor danced up the stairs to Ainz before bowing and producing a ring. "Asta's ring of Ainz Ooal Gown, Lord Ainz. I have retrieved it as commanded." He handed it to Ainz.

"Good work, all of you." Ainz looked to Albedo who was at his side. "Especially you, Albedo."

Albedo's cheeks flushed crimson. She knelt and immediately lowered her head. "I only did what was expected of me, Lord Ainz."

"Lord Ainz!" Demiurge stepped forwards. "Being controlled by the enemy is unacceptable. I should have been able to break free like Albedo but..." He prostrated himself. "I will accept any punishment, Lord Ainz."

"That will not be necessary, Demiurge. It was my lack of planning that allowed the situation to occur in the first place. And, well...with Albedo, I guess I should say that it should be expected."

"Ahhh!" Demiurge raised his head. "You planned for this all the way from back then, Lord Ainz."

Huh?

A sly grin flashed across Demiurge's lips.

"Pray tell," said Shalltear.

"Of course." He turned to the others. "Lord Ainz was prepared for this from the beginning. Everything he did was to get Asta to control Albedo because although Asta thought he had won during that time it was actually Lord Ainz's trap he had fallen into."

Huuuuuuhhhhhhhh!!!!?

"Ahem, so you figured it out Demiurge."

"Yes, Lord Ainz. Your plan."

What plan?!!!

"Eh, please explain it to the others. I will forgive all punishments if you can correctly explain the details."

"Of course, Lord Ainz." He looked across the others, finally landing on Albedo. "Before we arrived in this world Lord Ainz's used his supreme power to place a powerful spell on Albedo."

What?!  Wait. Is he talking about that?

"Yes," Albedo took the stage. "Lord Ainz granted me the power of love." She placed her hands to her chest. "Truly such a gift I am not worthy of. To feel the power of the Supreme One with me at all times... It makes me so happy!"

Albedo's cheeks flushed again, her breath growing a little raged.

"I don't see how this allowed her to break the spell," said Shalltear, a hint of jealousy in her voice.

"I once heard my Master say that love is the greatest power," said Aura.

"Indeed," said Demiurge. "What our Lord gave Albedo on that day was the strength of will to break a mind control spell."

"So, Lord Ainz planned for something like this all the way back then?" said Mare.

"Yes, and so he carefully manipulated Asta into using his skill knowing that Albedo would break free and strike Asta down while his back was turned." Demiurge raised his hands. "Ahh, I am not worthy of such genius."

Ainz felt his stabiliser take effect for the tenth time as they all bowed before him.

But...

He gazed over them all. He would have to reward them all with something for fighting with him.

Ainz looked to Albedo.

...she had saved him. He guessed he'd have to reward her with something special.

"Tonight, we shall celebrate our great victory," said Ainz.

He smiled as he saw his guardian's eyes turn up in joy. It was something he and his guild mates always did after defeating a raid boss. His guardians would never replace them, but right now they were his new family. It was only right to teach them proper Nazarick etiquette.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lakyus stood on the balcony of her room, looking out over the city, the wind rustling through her hair.

She had rubbed the ring on her finger so much that her skin had gone raw.

He had only been in her life for a few weeks but it felt like this chasm inside her heart would never close.

If something happens to me, don't come looking, he had said. She'd told him that she'd revive him no matter what. She hadn't thought anything more of his statement even when he had asked her to promise not to chase after him if he vanished one day.

"I'm sorry, Asta," she said slowly gazing up to the moon, tears glistening in the corners of her hardened eyes. "I'm going to have to break my promise."