I Just Left

"There was once a beautiful little princess born in an amazingly big castle. She had hundreds of maids and servants and her life was filled with all the luxuries of a princess.

However, the princess was not satisfied. You see, the princess was a twin. Born only a minute after her brother who shared the same face as her, and yet they were light years apart.

The princess was incredibly gifted, her mind being able to absorb any knowledge thrown at her. Her brother had his head in the clouds. She had mesmerised all of her tutors to the point where they quit simply because they had nothing left to teach her, yet her brother needed extra lessons.

It was suffice to say that she was simply better than her brother at being a royal, and yet it was he who held the title of Crown Prince. Not because of gender or age difference, but because of love.

As stupid as it may sound, it was believed that the Princess killed her own mother during childbirth. A surprise baby, the Princess was.

No one expected that the Queen was carrying a second child, nor that the second child would get momentarily stuck in her mother. It was truly a tragic event no one could forsee before it was too late.

Despite only being born, the Princess was charged with the crime of killing her father's beloved wife.

It was maddening at how much the princess begged for her father's affection just as he had displayed to her brother. Something as simple as a head pat drove her mad with jealousy.

She did whatever she could: excel at academics, fall purposefully in front of him and cut her knee, even stay up late into the night just to watch him come home from his work affairs.

It was disheartening to say the least when her futile efforts to earn her father's love also drove her to unknowingly hate her brother, the embodiment of his affection.

Her brother, on the other hand, loved his sister, and while only being a child, didn't know how she was feeling.

The Princess however, being the prodigy as she was, knew all too well of what she was feeling and harboured her negative emotions to her teen years.

Finally, after a turning nightmare of her killing her brother and father and usurping the throne as a tyrant, did the princess wake up and truly think about her past.

She recalled it all. All her wasted efforts and spilt tears crawled back to her along with the sinking feeling of fatigue.

The princess felt tired, even more than when she first went to bed. All those little schemes to get her father to acknowledge her tapped away at her patience. All of her snide remarks to her brother out of jealousy clawed at her heart.

It was too overwhelming for her. The princess had spent her entire life acting as the perfect royal. Having everything planned before she even awoke and never leaving anything up to chance made her want to try something new.

And so she slipped on her slippers and raided her closet. Frantically stuffing jewels and clothes into a large suitcase, all with this exhilarating feeling of unpredictableness.

Then, she wrote out a note and stamped it, detailing a few simple words addressed lovingly to her brother, and nothing to her father.

Finally, she opened up her window. The Princess never knew how sweet the night's air was until she breathed it in with newfound happiness. And she disappeared into the night.

She travelled for days, swimming in lakes and riding dolphins. Giving manicures to dragons and dating advice to a faerie. Letting her long golden hair free in the winds of a nearby tornado and running across sandy deserts of a snowy mountain with an umbrella.

Weird and wondrous. Stupid and free. She did whatever she wanted. She did it all. And not once did she go back to her amazingly big castle with her hundreds of maids and sevants.

Of course, the chains did weigh on her mind here and there. The craving of the love she so desperately wanted kept her awake at night, wondering if she had made the right decision. Yet in the morning, she would smile at her choice when a wedding invitation from her faerie friend was on her doorstep or when the troll she tutored showed her an A on his math exam.

The princess realised that she didn't need to be the best in order to feel good about herself. It was simply the change of pace she needed where no one knew her. Where she could let her hair down and one would simply gasp at its splendor rather than how crude it may be.

Now, at eighteen, the Princess is back in her hometown. Hearing about the engagement of her brother deserved him at least a visit or so she thought.

And it was a bright sight to see. Her grown up brother on top of the balcony waving down with a pretty little thing next to him. The crown engulfed his head and slipped down a bit, almost like a child borrowing her mother's big hat.

Still, she could tell he had blossomed. He had this confidence that radiated from him and a smile that would knock her siren friends off their flippers. It made her happy that she was happy for him, realising that she had finally gotten rid of her bad feelings towards him.

He would be a funny king, she thought to herself. And then she left. Don't misunderstand, she definitely had the feeling to go and talk to him, to vent her frustrations and anger towards him and her father. But she could also walk away back to her happy life and forget it all happened.

In the end, she made her choice. And it wasn't a selfish one. Sure, it would leave her with some regrets, but she is only eighteen, she has her whole life to go back or make the decision not to. So long as she's happy about it."

"That was an amazing story, Fayla, tell me another one!"

"No way, you can't keep listening to me prattle on about stories when we have your math to go over. You may have an A now, Igot, but those grades can definitely slip!"

"But at least tell me if the princess goes back and sorts things out with her family!"

"Not yet. She's still not ready. It's a lot to unpack for a girl you know. She was only fourteen when she left."

"But will she go back to her family? I feel like it's unfair for her not to be able to have a good relationship with her brother just because her father is a stinky old human!"

"I'm a human too. And yes, I agree, but I don't know. Maybe the Princess if still deciding. Should she?"

"The answer is most obviously....
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

Yeah, I know I was supposed to update the final of Runaway but I really can't be bothereddddd. Besides, this one just came to me. You decide if she should or shouldn't!