Seraphina meaning fiery

Trigger warning: mentions of abuse, SA and trauma

"Where is she?" He towers over me, tip of the sword wavering around my neck.

"I don't know what you're on about," I spat, looking up at his eyes. They were cold and ruthless.

"I won't ask you again. I know you helped her escape, where is Seraphina?"

"Who is Seraphina?" His hand collided with my face. I spat at his shoes which got me another slap. He then bent down and grabbed me by my hair, hoisting my head up.

"You're testing my patience, witch."

"It seems like you didn't have much to begin with, duke."

"You think I'll be gentle just because you're a woman. You're wrong, I'll rip you to pieces if it means I get to find out where she is. She's my wife."

"Is she though? Is she truly? She told me otherwise," I sneer. Another slap followed by a few kicks to my abdomen. I spare a glance at the uneasy guards who couldn't even look at their master abusing a helpless woman.

"Mark my words, I'll make you sing her whereabouts once I'm done with you."

"Is that what you did to her? When you broke her?" I was thrown to the wall, with him turning his shoe. "You don't love her. You're just obsessed with the idea of her. If you really did love her then she wouldn't have looked like she did when she came to me. This is a vow to God himself, I'll never tell you where she is."

"Then you shall die a dog's death."

Seraphina Callens. Came to the capital at 16, had the unfortunate fate of meeting the Duke Trothe at 17. It was a story that shook the whole kingdom, starting with the quick engagement and the even quicker wedding. There were many rumours: scandalous behaviour, a love child, love at first sight.

Only one of them were half-true. Seraphina was a dashing beauty, with honey blonde hair and eyes clearer than the ocean. Her sugar-sweet personality made her very popular amongst the common and noble folk.

When it was known that she was engaged a mere three weeks after her meeting with the Duke, her presence in high society altogether disappeared save for national events where she was seen always standing next to the duke.

After six months of her wedding, she came to me, haggard. It was not a pleasant meeting at all, for her fair skin had paled from lack of sun. Her sweet youthful cheeks had sunk and her soothing smile had vanished.

There were no visible marks, yet she couldn't stand the sight of a locked door. She had panic attacks when the local farmer boy was in hindsight. Worse off, she fainted when Dr Jones touched her skin whilst examining her; screaming that if another man touched her, she would be in trouble.

The beautiful Seraphina, whose name meant fiery, was no more than a petrified child. It was horrifying at first.

And now I'm face to face with the man who has siphoned all the joy out of Seraphina. His possessive aura, his crazed eyes, all hidden behind that hostile posture.

Seraphina would surely die if she returned. So she won't. The cell door opened, with the same maids picking me off the floor and putting me on the plank they call a bed. They worked in silence, but the guilt in their face shone like transparent glass.