Chapter 8: Duty over Happiness

«Draco»

All eyes are on me. Praying for my downfall. It's the pressure which is crushing me slowly but surely. The pressure to deliver and make my father proud. To meet his expectations and the visions he has of my future. I lost the task of repairing the cabinet, which brought me a lot of lecturing from my father. It was my chance to show everyone that I am able to succeed. But I lost the task and with it the chance to prove myself.

Being a death eater is a burden, a big label on my forearm which I'm carrying with me at all times. It's something I'm trying to run away from, but can't escape. I'm marked for a lifetime and even without the dark mark, I wouldn't be able to forget all the horrible things that I've seen these past few months.

Olive is someone who sees past that label, past the name and right to my real self. To the Draco, that not even I knew still existed. It was refreshing to talk to her about all the things that I was thinking about. She made me feel alive.

"Your technique is really advanced, Mr. Malfoy." I lifted my head at the words of Professor Slughorn. He was eyeing the way I prepared the ingredients for the Draught of Living Death. 

"Thank you, Sir." A smile appeared on my face, but I quickly hid it. I rarely get compliments, but when I do, I can feel the pride pulsing through my body.

Olive was working on her potion next to me. She was completely focused on her ingredients, not noticing Slughorn eyeing her curiously. Something about him was strange, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it. The way he engaged with students and tried to leave a good impression at all costs, was something I sensed as rather off-putting.

"That's certainly a interesting way to prepare the Draught of Living Death, Miss." Slughorn was leaning down to take a peek into the cauldron in front of him and Olive smiled nervously.

"Severus and I have been working on many potions over the years. He taught me some of his tricks, Professor." she looked proud of her uncle and the knowledge she picked up over the time. Slughorn nodded rather uninterested at her enthusiasm and made his way over to the next table.

"Cheater." I whispered when Slughorn disappeared and she shrugged her shoulders with a proud smile. Back in fourth year I always tried to outdo Olive and get an even better grade than her. Someday she noticed and it was a silent but dedicated battle to win Severus' acknowledgement.

"He never said anything about sticking to the book." and with a grin she added some Sopophorous juice into her cauldron.

I made my way over to her cauldron, peeking into it curiously. "I know you're a pro at potion making, but this will never turn into a Draught of Living Death. You should have cut the bean instead of crushing it."

She eyed me up and down. "Are you sure? This will turn out better than in the book." I scoffed and went back to my cauldron.

"I see you're not trusting me, Draco." she said with a grin while steering the liquid clockwise.

Twenty minutes later Slughorn announced that Olive's potion was the second best after Potter's. And as a price he awarded Potter with a vial of liquid luck.

◅▫▻

"That was favouritism at it's finest." Pansy said annoyed as we left the classroom. "Olive's looked as good as his. If not even better." After Slughorn announced that Harry won, Pansy started to argue with him but Slughorn didn't budge. As a result she was even more annoyed than before.