00: The Swan Hidden In The Frost

Howling breeze of the subzero blizzard, even colder, way colder if compared to the South. Trailing along the thick piled snow, their footsteps are what's left behind. What escapes from their mouths are breaths of their chill.

"Why did I even agree to come with you?" the trembling Yujin could only regret what she'd decided on. Even despite her spirituality being a half-wolf, still it wasn't enough to shiver away the cold. And to add how many layers of coat she had worn, it wasn't of any help at all. She couldn't even breath properly without her lips quivering. She couldn't see well, all because the snowstorm blurs her sight. But she's absolutely certain that the dark figure just before her is Nako.

She blames Nako for this, absolutely.

Nako in front meanwhile remained unbothered. There was a reason she remained unfazed of the cold. Sensing Yujin's difficulty, she rolled her eyes and faced her. "I never forced you to come along, did I?"

"Y-You persuaded me to!"

"Rather you persuaded yourself to come," Nako rolled her eyed again, "remind me, who basically begged to tag along?" She turned her back and continued to walk.

"Is it still far?? We've been walking for weeks!" Yujin has to shout that out loud just to make sure Nako could hear knowing the blow of the wind can cover their hearing.

"6 days, Yujin. Isn't a week yet."

"Yet! Yet— but I'm dying!"

"Don't worry. If ever you die, I'll just carry you back for a proper burial."

"Nako-chan!"

"Kindly stop barking for a second." Nako literally shut Yujin's lips with her fingers just so she could be quiet. Then with her free hand she pointed forwards, "see that?"

Yujin raised her head, squinting her eyes to give herself a clearer vision. "A wall?" A wall of solid frost indeed was what she saw. It even reflects a hue of azure that led her to conclude it was purely made of ice. She looks above to see how tall it was, only to gulp seeing how it seems almost endless. How colder could it be inside? Such thought only gave her nightmare, and so she chuckles full of fear. "C-Can I go home now? I forgot to cook my dog dinner."

"You're the dog in your household, Yujin. Not to mention you can't even cook." Nako lets go of Yujin and proceeds to walk near the the wall. "There's a crack. We can enter from here."

"Ain't no way!" Yujin attempted on running away, but Nako had already grabbed a hold of her collar and dragged her inside. "Nako-chan!!" She can only shout helplessly. "I'm not ready to die yet! I can't die here! God I haven't even bid goodbye to our friends! I still want to see Gel and Eunchae grow up— woah.." she stopped persisting when a sudden warmth embedded her. She blinks, only then she got to see what they've gotten into.

A cave full of ice and snow. Inside is indeed warmer, protected fully from the snowstorm. After all, it was the only hindrance of their journey in the open. There were glowing ice crystals poked out from side to side, even some hangs from above. There no sight of anything that isn't made out of ice, except the ground which obviously was hardened soil. It was buried with few snow, but the brown of the ground couldn't be unnoticeable. And the atmosphere was purely warm — not as warm as the grasslands — but still warm enough compared from earlier. The only light they had were the glowing crystals and the torches which they had just scorched alight.

They continued their walk with Nako leading the way. Yujin was still amazed that you can see sparkles in her eyes. She continues exploring her eyes around with her jaw hanged open in awe. "Wow," she couldn't stop uttering. "Wow."