Sasuke's New Headache

Chapter Six

Sasuke's New Headache

※⊷Sasuke⊶※

March 21, 2012

Unannounced absences were like the ringing of alarm bells.

Any time his deranged bestfriend went missing, Sasuke automatically assumed the worse. Naruto had only ghosted him three times in their lives, and each time he reemerged, a shit storm of epic proportions usually followed.

The very first time Naruto dropped off the face of the Earth, was by far the worse.

July 2, 2000, a date forever etched into his mind.

The day Naruto flipped shit in the middle of class, scarred and scared two classrooms full of students and ended the teaching career of a beloved faculty member, Iruka Umino.

Led from Iruka's class in cuffs, Naruto disappeared.

Fucking gone without a word, without a trace.

At first, Sasuke though he'd been officially arrested and taken straight into police custody from Principal Danzo's office, but as days turned into weeks, weeks morphed into months, and months crept into years without a sign of Naruto, Sasuke had to face the reality that his bestfriend was actually gone.

How?

Why?

He didn't know.

One thing he knew for sure, foul play had to have been involved.

He and Naruto were thick as thieves, two goddamn brothers in every way that mattered.

He'd never just up and leave Sasuke, not without telling him what the fuck was going on, or where the fuck he was going.

That's not how they rolled.

That's not how they did shit.

The only way that could've happen was if Naruto was six feet under, and Sasuke refused to entertain that possibility.

Determined to find out what happened, Sasuke spent a large amount of their nearly six years apart searching high and low for the missing juvenile, kicking up a fuss to any adult he thought could give him information, digging through any evidence he could find when he was old enough.

Fine tuning his search when he became an adult.

Nothing.

Until...

Six Years Ago

In the middle of a quiet night, twenty-one year old Sasuke gazed up at the ceiling, his ears tuned and straining to monitor his living room from the comfort of his bed.

Something had woken him up.

A low shuffling sound piercing his slumber.

He was a notoriously light sleeper, his mind never really relaxing. It was a defense mechanism he'd developed in his childhood years and carried over into adulthood. He listened for another six minutes, and just as he was about to chalk the noise up to a figment of his paranoid mind, a single footstep on tile disabused him of that notion.

Eyes fused to the dark hall through his open bedroom door, Sasuke silently slid to the edge of the bed, not once taking his gaze from the empty hall as reached over to his nightstand table.