Chapter 3; Maddie's Lullaby

It's been 2 weeks since Sue's death.

Things have been different. Sally's been having some 'episodes' lately, so Maddie has to sleep in the same tent as her- being the only one who can calm the waffle demon down.

Yeah... Sally's been stuck in her waffle demon form since Sue... And hasn't shown any signs of changing back. But a good thing is that she isn't afraid to kill with her bare claws.

Spencer's been doing better then the rest of us. He was never really that close to Sue- not saying he don't care but... They never got to know each other.

Mama and Papa don't speak to us often- they're going through some tough situations... We don't know what but... It seemed serious.

I've been doing horribly. The raids are usually failures because I can't focus anymore. I've been having the worst night terrors lately- making me feel worse and worse.

But there's a single question that races through my mind each moment of the day.

Who is next?

The question scares me.

I look to see the flashlight in Maddie and Sally's tent on, showing their shadows. Sally's laying down, struggling to get out of the tent, refusing to sleep. This happened every night.

Maddie then touches her forehead gently with two fingers, then rubs the top of her head. I listen carefully, this was my favourite part of Maddie's lullaby.

"-Soon we will soar on our own
Finally free from the pain we now roam...

Just as the sun rises over a new peak
Every new day, a new hope for peace..."

I smile softly to myself as I hear Sally's soft and calm breathing. Maddie flicks off the flashlight and leaves.

I raise a brow of suspicion as I hear her footsteps getting closer to my tent. She peers in and smiles at me. "Hey Billy~?" She chirps softly.

"Y-Yeah?" I scoot back so she had room to sit down. Maddie sat in front of me, looking at me sorta seriously. "... Are you scared too?"

I look at her for a moment before turning my gaze to my ripped sleeping mat. "... Scared?" I whisper. Maddie looks at me intensely for an answer.

"... I've been scared since this whole thing started..." I answer softly, glancing up to meet her emerald gaze.

Maddie smiles at me. "... You're very brave. I'm glad you're here to protect your family..." She says slowly. I smile slightly. "... I'm here to protect you too, you know?" I ask.

Maddie stares at me, bewildered. "Wh-What?" She stutters softly, trying not to wake the others. "I promised you on the first day, didn't i? I swore I'd protect you." I explain, rubbing my neck sheepishly.

Maddie had a faint glow of crimson on her cheeks. Her shock soon melted into a smile, and she gently placed her hand on mine. "Thank you for keeping your promise." She whispers.

"Hey, I lost sight in one eye for you. I'm not about to quit now." I laugh quietly. Maddie giggles softly and brushes my messy brown bangs out of my eyes. "Why don't you get some rest? You're barely focused anymore." She whispers.

"I... Have been getting night terrors lately. Really... Really bad ones. I'm afraid to sleep..." I mumble, hugging my knees and looking down. Maddie sighs softly and taps my chin up to meet her gaze. "Would it help if I sang you my lullaby?" She asks, smiling gently.

I blush slightly. "... Would you...?"

"Anything for you, Billy Friend." She sits on her knees and clears her throat quietly. I lay down and rest my head on my bag. Maddie sighs softly and starts her song.

"Stars and moons...
And air balloons...
Fluffy clouds to the horizon...
I'll wrap you in rainbows...
And rock you to sleep again...

Teddy bears of pink...
Ducks and lambs of white...
Don't you cry, I'm here now...
I'll be your nightlight..."

My eyes grow heavy- but I try to keep myself awake- just to hear Maddie's beautiful singing.

"Smiles to cure the frowns-
Twirling and tumbling in laughter-
Someday life will always be-
Happily ever after...

Nevermore will the storms come
To destroy your little world
Nevermore will the waters rise
'Till the mountains no longer
Touch the sky~

Stars and moons and air balloons
Fluffy clouds to the horizon
I'll wrap you in rainbows...

And rock you to sleep again."

I doze off, fast asleep. Even in dark times like these- Maddie's song brings joy back into my life.

If only it could bring hope back with it.

Maddie pecks my cheek before sneaking back to Sally's tent. I blush slightly in my sleep, but smile.

I wouldn't have hope for the apocalypse if Maddie wasn't here...