Chapter 8; A Cure

The family loaded into the nearest van, and sped down the highway. My heart raced as I kept my eyes glued to the road ahead, being careful not to hit any potholes.

"So.. Yew actuawy have the cure?" Sally asks softly, as she looks up at me from the passenger seat. I nod slowly. "Yeah... If we can find a way to release the anti-virus... It would spread like wildfire and everything would return to normal." I reply, grip tightening on the wheel.

"... You really do care." Sally mutters to herself, looking shocked. "Of course I do, Sal... I lost both my brothers and the family pet... I'm not heartless. I loved them as much as you." I explain, and I notice the moon slowly lowering on the horizon.

"But... But you didn't try to..." She starts, before I cut her off. "I didn't try because Freddy and Sue wouldn't let me. We all knew they wouldn't make it out. And Spencer... I did try. I knew he didn't want to die- he was scared... whereas Freddy and Sue knew they had nothing to be scared of." I explain, sadly, to a surprised Sally. She looks down at her hands and bites her lip. "... O-Okay..." She whispers.

"There it is!" Maddie pipes in and points ahead. The van comes to a screeching stop and I hop out. "... I don't have much, but it should be enough if I can get it in a gaseous form.." I mutter to myself, looking around. "... I have an idea." Mama Gertrude alerts me.

"Huh?" I look at her, eager for an answer. "We end this how we started it." Mama points to the 'water tower'. I grin and rush towards it, climb the ladder, and open a small hole in the top. I pour the antidote in and slide back down.

"Now what?" Papa questions, confused. I toss him his shotgun from the van, and a gleam of pride is shown in his eyes. "... Good job, Son." He ruffles my hair and puts the gun in position. He closes one eye and tries to focus...

"Billy!" A voice cries to me. Everyone turns to see Maddie gripping at the ground, trying to escape as several infected drag her. "Maddie!" I yelp, and rush towards her.

I grab her hands and try pulling her back, but the infected were a bit stronger then me. "I.. I'm not losing you. Not now." I say through grit teeth as I struggle.

"Die!" I hear a voice screech. A blur of pink rushes by and launches at the group of infected, knocking them down. "Sally!" I grin, pulling Maddie to her feet. Sally salutes to me, keeping the infected away from us.

"Papa! Now!" I holler, hugging Maddie tightly. "Alright! 'Git Down!" Papa yells back. The family drops down, Sally being held by Mama, and me holding Maddie.

Papa aims carefully, and shoots at the tank.

At first, it's silent.

"Did I mis-"

A huge explosion blows the family away, along with the infected. The anti-virus is blown several directions by the wind...

I groan in pain as I prop myself up on my elbows. I look to the infected that had tried taking Maddie.. My eyes widen as I stand, my family soon following.

The infected collapsed to their knees, coughing... They collapse for a few seconds before they begin morphing back into humans.

Joy consumed me. It was finally over! Our world was safe from the deadly virus!

"Y-YES! It worked! It really worked!" I scream, hugging Maddie. Mama, Papa, and Sally cheered loudly, hugging each other tightly.

Maddie giggles and smiles to me. "I knew you could do it!" She chirps.

I smile. Everything was perfect now. Back to how it was... "Thanks."

And I did the unbelievable.

I leaned in and kissed Maddie.

A sweet, joy filled kiss that I will always remember.

My life was now perfect.