Part 12-Thunder Bay

At two in the morning Grappa took his keeper upper shift. He has a Krishna name but prefers to use his last name, Grappa.

"It's such a cool name," I said. "I'd probably do the same."

The bus ahead of us signaled and stopped on the roadside.

"I wonder what's going on?"

Pranaya Keli came to our door. "We're changing drivers," she said. "It's going to be about fifteen minutes."

She glanced up at a pair of large feet hanging over the doorway.

"It's Gaura Narayana," I said. "It's the only bunk he can fit in."

"He sleeps like that every night?"

"Yes, he's used to it. We have to duck every time we go out the door." To Grappa I said, "This is Pranaya Keli. She used to be one of our neighbors in North Carolina. I knew her when she was this tall."

Pranaya Keli looked at my hand, "I've never been that small."

I raised my hand a few inches. "How about here?"

"Not quite."

"Hey, while we're stopped, there's something I've been wanting to see. I think you'll want to see it too."

"What is it?"

"The stars. We're a hundred miles from anything. I bet you've never seen it like this. Grappa, get your shoes." We ducked under the feet in the doorway and onto the roadside with Pranaya Keli. "We need to get away from the light to really see it."

"This looks beautiful!" Pranaya Keli said. "I've never seen it like this."

"Keep going," I said. "We need to get further back." We walked away from the taillights of the bus. "Wait till your eyes adjust to the dark. Right about ... here. Now look at the horizon until you can make out the trees in the dark—can you see their outline?"

"Yes."

"OK, now look up."

"Wow!"

The sky exploded.

"That's the Milky Way, that band of white going across the sky."

"Wow! I've never seen it like this!"

"Wow! So many stars!"

"There's no moon tonight, no clouds, and no city lights for hundreds of miles. Perfect conditions."

"I'd heard of the Milky Way, but never ..."

"That's why they call it milky."

***

"Radha Vinode, good morning!" I greeted him.

He yawned and chuckled. It was his turn to keep the driver awake.

"How's the tour going for you so far?"

"Quite well, thank you."

All day he's loud and dramatic, enunciating as if onstage. At three in the morning I got to see his other side.

"I really enjoyed taking down the festival tents and packing everything into the truck. Did you know there's a slot in that truck for each pole?"

"Yes, I've loaded it many times, there are red slots for the red poles, green slots, yellow.... Maybe you'll get a chance to help set them up. It's like a giant lego set."

"I'd love that! I love building things."

"It's something not many get to do anymore," I said. "I got to build the house I live in. We built several houses in our community."

"That would be my dream."

"It was fun." I didn't tell him we were selling that house.

Distant lightning flashes lit the prairie.

"Whoa! That one was awesome!" Radha Vinode used his subdued voice.

"Like fireworks, great big fireworks. Hopefully we'll miss it. It looks like a heavy storm."

I was dangerously sleepy when my shift ended and KP took over. The rain hit as he fastened his seatbelt. Kaliyapani drove full speed through heavy rain. He's a daring chap. Besides tree surgery, he races motorcycles.

"Uh, you'll need to slow down in this," I explained as calmly as I could over the roar of the rain. "You can't even see."

"Oh, shall we?" He looked up, turning his eyes away from the road. "Alright then." He lifted his foot off the accelerator, "There we go, how's that?"

"Go as slow as you need to," I had to shout, "but don't stop or we'll be rear-ended. Our best bet is to drive through the storm."

Kaliyapani enjoys danger.

"Watch out at the bottom of hills," I shouted. "That's where you're likely to hydroplane. If you feel the back end of the bus slide to one side, you know what to do, don't you?"

"Yes, you compensate by steering in that direction."

"OK, sounds like you've got it. Have fun! I'm going to sleep."

"Alright, pleasant dreams," he shouted back.

"I'll dream of sunny skies tomorrow."

"Got it," he said in British.

"Cheerio, old boy."

***

There were shouts in the dark.

"Oh my god! Oh my god! It's raining in here!"

Another voice joined in, "I'm getting wet! Hare Krishna! There's a leak! The roof is leaking!"

Flashlights and curses added to the confusion.

"Oh Krishna! Oh Krishnaaa!"

I was dry and off duty and let the boys sort things out. A bucket was located and placed under the leak. Most of the boys slept right through it.

Chapter 8 - Thunder Bay, Ontario

Tuesday, July 21

The park overlooked Thunder Bay. I joined a man onstage who was checking the sound system. He was from the local TV station, dressed in a suit and tie. "It looks like the weather is going to be perfect today, yah know? We expect over eight thousand people, eh? Every year it gets bigger."

"Wow!" I said. "Eight thousand people on a Tuesday?"

"You betcha! There's not much else going on in Thunder Bay."

"What's the population?" I asked.

"About eighty thousand."

"So you're saying ten percent of Thunder Bay will be in this park today?"

"Yes. And the other ninety percent will watch it on TV."

I rubbed my chin. "Maybe I'd better shave."

The park filled with people; Bhakti Marg Swami introduced the mayor and handed him the microphone. "Local government deals with weather, so we'll take credit for this beautiful day."

I applauded with the audience.

Next, a member of Parliament spoke and claimed the federal government handles weather, so they should get credit.

I cheered again.

Bhakti Marg Swami introduced each performance and entertained the audience between acts. Backstage he told our troupe, "Remember, you're on TV!"

Eighty thousand people in Thunder Bay saw the bus tour's drama and kirtan. All of this was brought about by a couple of Hare Krishna people who live in Thunder Bay. They raised funds and organized the event, with free food and prizes for everyone.

***

On the drive that night I told my keeper-upper, "Those devotees in Thunder Bay, they're big fish in a small pond. It's just one family, but they're making an impact on that little town. We need more devotees like that. It's better to be a big fish in a small pond than vice versa. Because who would want to be a small pond in a big fish?"