Part 19-Vancouver

Vancouver's Krishna temple was built on a peat bog. The parking lot has melted into soft ground; lampposts hang at random angles. "It's like a Salvador Dalí painting."

Grappa looked through the bus window. "Dalí? The one with the melting watches?"

"Yes," I said. "He'd be inspired here."

"This landscape does look rather surreal," Grappa replied. "Did you sleep well?"

"Best ever. I slept six hours Canadian."

"Canadian?"

"You know, like Canadian dollars and American dollars?"

"Ah, yes. And which is worth more?"

"Canadian hours are worth more because I feel rested, eh?"

I sent a report to my email group about our Yosemite experiences, several replied with questions and congratulations. Names were added everyday to my email group as I met old friends or random people who wanted to stay in touch.

***

Ratha Yatra festivals are held every Saturday throughout the summer. Our tour followed the festival route filling the days in between with national parks and beaches.

Vancouver's Ratha Yatra festival began with a parade of bagpipes, politicians and clowns on roller skates. These attracted a crowd to witness the enthusiastic kirtan before the hand-pulled Jagannath Ratha Yatra chariot. The public was invited to help pull the ropes and follow the parade to Stanley Park.

A sunburned girl handed me a hundred-dollar bill.

"I saw your email ," she said, " and want to support what you're doing."

"But how did you...?"

"I read between the lines. I know what you and Maharha are going through."

"But ... you guys are struggling too."

"That won't stop us from helping something we like."

"Thank you. I want to do this full time."

"I know. And there's a need for what you do. Can we get you and Maharha to fly out here sometime?"

"I never turn down an opportunity."

A cool breeze blew over Stanley Park. Noses and cheeks grew redder as the day progressed.

On stage, the bus tour girls performed their traditional dance which drew a large crowd. Backstage, an Indian woman praised their performance as I tuned my guitar.

Radha Vinode shouted into the microphone, "That was spectacular, wasn't it? Let's give them one more massive round of applause!" He held the audience while the stage was set up. "We're traveling in a bus all over North America. We've come from England, Ireland, India, and some are all the way from Florida! Now we're going to perform a bit of kirtan for you. We're almost ready. Are you ready yet? Yes, they're almost ready, so just hang on a bit, another moment, and we'll begin straightaway."

I felt the bill in my pocket. Someone believed in me. 

***